Getting Started: Confused on Zettel
I have spent weeks reading and reading posts and now it's time to begin. This is hard stuff to grasp I must say.
I envision me using my zettel for 1 stop shop for a lifetime of knowledge that does not split into projects. I see that as more long term way of sparking far flung discoveries that limiting myself to project based zettelkastens would block.
I have gone to type my first note and am stuck to how to integrate three key use cases under one zettel. My plan is:
- Thought or idea rewritten in my own words (based off handwritten notes, marginalia or kindle highlights)
- Bibliogrpahy/Quoted Literature: I plan to quote ideas I like in their original form if I get inspiration
- Reference any quoted literature/podcast link/article link or book properly in text form
- Link the zettel with other ideas if appropriate.
The below is non factual random example to make my point.
Here is an example
202004191616 Crisis as a blessing
2. "Every blessing brings a new crisis. The crisis becomes the next frontier of facing how much of yourself remains unknown, unloved or unappreciated." [KM - quoting myself]
3. "Count every blessing" — Unknown Author
4. The Bible
5. Link: 201802121036
1. Using The Archive would I be doing this correct as my first note lets's say?
2. Does referencing need to take place somewhere else in a more formal structure (ie. page references) I may write a book one day but not here to get graded by a college teacher so I don't want to be too rigid.
3. Any pointers as to how to best outline a first zettle?
4. Still confused on the why when I press Command+N for a new zettel, it gives me this lengthy ID: 202004191616 I understand the date is in there but why all the other digits ie. 1616? What does that represent?
5. the '...1616'This confuses me as to how I actually begin my first set of notes now... a) I am confused how to number them and what first step I need to take there b) Should I start adding my set of re-written notes from the same general category ie. Business before I switch to different topics too soon? I want to get the hang of clearly making notes and links first before overwhelming myself.
I swear I read Luhman having one zettel for Bibliography (facts, quotes, existing literature) and a seperate zettel to form his own original ideas (prouse, ideas, theories etc.) and that both zettels were used to dialogue back and broth against each other. Or am I wrong. If I am wrong, how do I merge the need for a bibliography and orginal thoughts scenario into one. That's what I am trying to do above of course.
Thanks for your help. I am both inspired and shit scared with the climb ahead.
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!