Zettelkasten Forum

Is anyone using the iOS and MacOS Notes.app to run a ZK? or as a iOS inbox capture

I am considering either A. using Notes.App as my overall ZK (why/why not?), or B. using it on iOS in order to capture/inbox initial zettels, before integrating them into my larger ZK on my computer.

This is a low barrier to entry to begin capturing notes, but I'm open to other ideas. But do note I'm on a very strict budget.

Comments

• A friend of mine captures stuff with Notes, which became far more powerful in recent years, so yes :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Linking to other notes still doesn't seem to be possible with Apple's Notes. That would suffice for me to rule it out as a ZK app.

For capturing things/thoughts, it can make more sense – but I prefer to use my ToDo-App setup for that (TaskPaper on macOS and Drafts on iOS with an action that prepends new tasks to my Taskpaper-file). If I have a thought that I want to incorporate into my ZK, I add that to my ToDo-list.

• @Vinho said:
    Linking to other notes still doesn't seem to be possible with Apple's Notes. That would suffice for me to rule it out as a ZK app.

For capturing things/thoughts, it can make more sense – but I prefer to use my ToDo-App setup for that (TaskPaper on macOS and Drafts on iOS with an action that prepends new tasks to my Taskpaper-file). If I have a thought that I want to incorporate into my ZK, I add that to my ToDo-list.

So you add it as a to-do rather than as an initial note itself?

For instance, a question -> to-do: answer question; a fact -> to-do: make zettel from fact

Because I’m thinking I’d make a zettel for the question, and one for the fact, even if incomplete, I’d rather not return to zettels but instead keep building.

• I've begun using the Notes app on iOS for capturing and for reading notes while reading books. Its simple, handy and syncs with something I can access on my computer.

But the best "feature" is probably that it gives my phone a purpose while reading. It has a tendency to receive unwarranted attention and using it for taking notes gives it a far more beneficial purpose ;)

• edited April 2020

@jaredkrauss said:

So you add it as a to-do rather than as an initial note itself?

For instance, a question -> to-do: answer question; a fact -> to-do: make zettel from fact

That's right. Most of my zettels (apart from structure notes) have a question as a title and thoughts I have are usually related to those questions. I then update my zettel with the new thought. And put that as a task in my ToDo-app, because it usually requires a bit of thinking, copying and pasting, it might have an impact on other zettels as well, etc. Too fiddly on the phone.

I don't usually make zettels just from individual facts – and I'm aware of the fact that this is different from what most people here do and recommend. In the case of creating zettels from individual facts it might seem a bit too tedious to enter it in a ToDo-app first instead of just creating it on-the go. But even then you usually try to connect the new note to other notes, which would be too fiddly for me on the phone anyway. In my workflow, I do that when I create the new zettel on my Desktop-App (The Archive).

Because I’m thinking I’d make a zettel for the question, and one for the fact, even if incomplete, I’d rather not return to zettels but instead keep building.

As I said, I return to zettels a lot because of them collecting all my thoughts on questions. I like that. The building happens when new questions come up.

• @Vinho said:
    Linking to other notes still doesn't seem to be possible with Apple's Notes. That would suffice for me to rule it out as a ZK app.

It is possible to link to other notes. Just press SHARE, then COPY LINK.
    You will end up with url to your note. I wouldn’t find it practical but it is definitely possible if you desire so.

• @jaredkrauss Have you seen Drafts app. Basic functionality is free; however, there is Pro subscription which gives you more scripting functionality. I use it to quickly take notes on my phone and send them to my Zk archive.

• @karoshiya said:
    @jaredkrauss Have you seen Drafts app. Basic functionality is free; however, there is Pro subscription which gives you more scripting functionality. I use it to quickly take notes on my phone and send them to my Zk archive.

Everyone mentioned it but never explained why. But I’ll have a look. I’m just sick of more subscriptions. So if I have to pay I’d like a one off.

What do you use for your archive?

• edited April 2020

@karoshiya said:

@Vinho said:

It is possible to link to other notes. Just press SHARE, then COPY LINK.
    You will end up with url to your note. I wouldn’t find it practical but it is definitely possible if you desire so.

Ah, I didn't know that. Still not interested in using it, though ;) Too fiddly and of course not a plain text approach.

@jaredkrauss said:

@karoshiya said:
    @jaredkrauss Have you seen Drafts app. Basic functionality is free; however, there is Pro subscription which gives you more scripting functionality. I use it to quickly take notes on my phone and send them to my Zk archive.

Everyone mentioned it but never explained why. But I’ll have a look. I’m just sick of more subscriptions. So if I have to pay I’d like a one off.

I like Drafts because it's very customisable. Once you've set it up properly with the Actions you needs (probably including some scripted ones), you can capture notes and send them to the right place for further processing very easily/quickly – all within a plain text approach. I can understand your complaint about the subscription, though. I'd ditch it if there was a decent iOS app to work efficiently with TaskPaper files...

• I use Notes as a very simple way of capturing things on my phone, usually websites, because the Share Sheet makes it so easy. Notes syncs so easily to the desktop, and then I have a weekly task to process those Notes. Some of them end up in my ZK, others don't.

• I have two uses for Notes:

(1) as opposite of "inbox" - I would say as "outbox" :-) for those situations (notes), where I know that I will need some info outside (e.g. when travelling, in car, in forests) - where internet is not guaranteed. Because Notes sync superbly I am sure that they will be always in sync and working online or offline.

So I add all similar lists/info there. (I have lists for favourite locations in different areas, favourite shops, basic info about my car - tyre pressure, VIN code etc. When I plan my trip, I copy my itinerary there etc.)

(2) Second use is for inbox and elaboration of my ideas for (already agreed/planned) speeches/lectures/interviews. I try to set ample time/far deadlines ahead for these projects, so I have enough time to record my ideas about subject of the speech/workshop without pressure to sit and brainstorm - just by living my other activities and from time to time having some idea and record it... It saves me tremendously my time: E.g. I have agreed lecture about new subject in two months and from time to time (when travelling, when running, when reading something, when listening to a song), an idea occurs to me what should I say or focus on, some example or anecdote, what is good point etc. And again - as this often happens outside, regardless of internet quality, I record this idea to this document. In some time - in days or weeks - I usually have plenty of ideas covered and when I start to really prepare my lecture/interview - I am already 50% done - I have so many structure/points prepared already.

But I do not use it for my ZK or as inbox for my tasks etc. I use Things as inbox for tasks on my iPhone. I do not need (at the moment) any app for iOS to sync my ZK archive. If idea for ZK occurs to me, I add it to Things and later copy to ZK at home.