Zettelkasten Forum

Minimal Writing on the Mac ebook

Minimal Writing on the Mac ebook

The Zettelkasten note-taking method has made book writing and writing scientific papers easy for hundreds of years already.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Christian, what's the link to the Texts app that you reference in Minimal Writing?

• @andre I believe that Texts can be found here. I don't know if it is still being supported? I have the latest version of Pandoc on my Mac and Texts is not recognizing it.

• @DavidWJ I just downloaded Texts for the first time and it prompted me with a link to download Pandoc. I did, and it worked flawlessly.

@andre I took an awesome course of yours five or so years ago, I totally get why you'd be interested in Texts; it does exactly what you had laid out, in TextEdit I'm guessing, and it's even cleaner than TextEdit.

Thanks @ctietze !

• Thanks guys!

• @nickmilo22 said:
    I just downloaded Texts for the first time and it prompted me with a link to download Pandoc. I did, and it worked flawlessly.

The version of pandoc linked in the "Download pandoc" link on the Texts site is version 2.02 and the current version is 2.9x. So it depends on rather or not you have a newer version installed. This seems to require a hardcoded version number and a higher version doesn't seem to meet the standard.

Have you had any success with installing xelatex which is required for PDF export?

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Taking any opportunity to chime in on @ctietze 's WordCounter. To phrase it in an entirely academic and objective manner, that shit is goddamn magical. Seriously, it's the best way to track word count across multiple applications, and does an excellent job both visualizing it in situ and exporting it to CSV (which can be easily imported into The Archive as a markdown table, hint hint). If you, like me, find word count to be a professionally meaningful metric, you need this program.

• @nickmilo22 What @Will said is what I am dealing with. Prior to installing Texts, I already had Pandoc 2.9x installed. Texts insisted on having a prior version installed. So "yes" it will install Pandoc and run, but you have to be happy installing the version of Pandoc that Texts insists on.

• I think that the problem people may be having with texts/pandoc/xelatex is (if you are using homebrew) some possibly out-of-date information on the web site - viz., http://www.texts.io/support/0011/. The path to pandoc it suggests is not the one currently used by homebrew - if you change it to the current one then things seem fine in that Texts loads. I have no knowledge of XeLatex though and this may account for a brief error message which appears.