Zettelkasten Forum

Interstitial Journaling

This discussion was created from comments split from: Inline key-words and key-phrases.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

Comments

• edited February 2019

Never heard of "interstitial journaling". Mind sharing some resources, y'all?

Post edited by ctietze on

• This is off topic but this is the only online article I've read introducing me to the idea of interstitial journaling. I took the ideas expressed and ran with them modifying them to fit my notions of an interwoven workflow much like I think I'm developing with note-taking. I see the value in both journaling and note taking being a natural and flexible byproduct of how I conduct my day and my reading. Nothing special, the less flow is interrupted the better.

@ctietze I have only 20 tags, I wonder how many you and @Sascha have? Do you guy intermingle them in the text or place them in a header or footer, or do you do some of both? Luhmann had thousands of entries in his keyword list. If tags are treated as keywords then there could be thousands of 'categories' a note might be matched with. The cognitive overhead might overwhelm.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:

@mediapathic said:

You mean like putting keywords in a YAML block ?

No this is not my thoughts. I'm thinking interstitial markup. Not separated from the note body.

Oh, I see. My misunderstanding.

And, that article @will linked is the only one I've read as well. TLDR; it's like just the journaling part of Bullet Journal, wherein you freely mix todo items and events, but not specific to paper, and with an emphasis on recording an entry when you change tasks, in order to shift the mental focus to the new task.

• Ah, thanks!

@mediapathic I bet you're super happy with Emacs and Org mode to accomplish that on your computer :)

• (setq org-capture-templates
          '(("J" "Journal" entry (file+olp+datetree "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Journal.org")
             (file "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/tpl-journalentry.txt"))
    )) 

:smiley:

• @mediapathic what does you tpl-journalentry.txt look like? My templates are very ... minimalistic.

(setq org-capture-templates
          (quote (("t" "Task" entry (file "~/Pending/org/inbox.org")
                   "* TODO %?\n%a\n")
                  ("j" "Journal" entry (file+datetree "~/Pending/org/diary.org")
                   "* %?\n\n")
                  ("w" "Work review" entry (file+datetree "~/Pending/org/diary.org")
                   (file "~/.emacs.d/capture-templates/work-review.org")))
          ))

• @ctietze said:
    @mediapathic what does you tpl-journalentry.txt look like? My templates are very ... minimalistic.

Oh it's very minor, I just made it when I was experimenting with templates and thought it was going to be more complicated than it turned out to be:

**** %^{Title}
    Entered on %T
    %?

So I get the Title input with helm, which... is not actually that useful, but occasionally nice for repeating entries.

I have Way Too Many capture templates. It was one of the first things I figured out how to customize in emacs and I kind of went overboard.

(setq org-capture-templates
          '(("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline
          "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Todo.org" "05 INBOX")
             "* TODO %? \n %i ")
            ("l" "Todo with link" entry (file+headline
             "* TODO %?  \n  %i\n  %a ")
            ("b" "Bookmark" entry (file+headline
          "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/bookmarks.org" "00 INBOX")
             "**  %?\n:PROPERTIES:\n:CREATED: %U\n:END:\n\n" :empty-lines 1)
            ("M" "Bookmark with quote" entry (file+headline
          "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/bookmarks.org" "00 Inbox")
             "* %a %?\n:PROPERTIES:\n:CREATED: %U\n:END:\n\n#+BEGIN_QUOTE\n%i\n#+END_QUOTE" :empty-lines 1)
            ("J" "Journal" entry (file+olp+datetree "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Journal.org")
             (file "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/tpl-journalentry.txt"))
    "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/bookmarks.org" "Inbox")
            ("z" "Zettel file" entry (file (capture-report-zettel-file "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/org-zettel/"))
              " #+TITLE: %?")
            ("c" "Contact" entry (file+headline "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/contacts.org" "Friends"),
          my/org-contacts-template
          :empty-lines 1)
            ("g" "Test for grab-link" entry (file+headline
             "* %(grab-mac-link)")
            ("B" "book memo" entry
             (file+olp+datetree
          "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/readinglist.org" "Books") "* %(helm-books)
    %^{Startdate}p %^{Enddate}p %^{Genre}p %^{Zettellink}p %^{Status}p")
            ("n" "Note" entry (file+olp+datetree "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Journal.org")
             "* NOTE %? :REFILE:NOTE: %i\n  %a")
            ("d" "Review: Daily Review" entry (file+olp+datetree "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Journal.org")
             (file "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/templates/dailyreviewtemplate.org"))
            ("w" "Review: Weekly Review" entry (file+olp+datetree "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Journal.org")
             (file "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/templates/weeklyreviewtemplate.org"))
            ("m" "Review: Monthly Review" entry (file+olp+datetree "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Journal.org")
             (file
              "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/templates/monthlyreviewtemplate.org"))
            ("p" "Project" entry (file+headline
          "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Todo.org" "1 Projects")
             (file "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/templates/newprojecttemplate.org"))
            ("D" "Daily Plan" plain (file+datetree "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/Journal.org")
             (file "~/Dropbox/Writing/Zettel/org/tpl-dailyplan.txt"))
            ))

the review templates are something I picked up from the PARA guy, I don't actually use them but I keep them in there as examples if I want to build something similar. "Todo with link" is for when I want a todo that links back to where I made it, like an email. You might like the helm-books thing, which actually searches Amazon and pulls author info.