Zettelkasten Forum

Share with us what is happening in your ZK this week. February 20, 2024

Swimming with Ideas

This is another installment of the What Are You Working On? thread. Add to this discussion by telling us about your zettelkasten journey. Share with us what you're learning. Sharing helps me and, hopefully, you, too. It helps me clarify my goals and visualize my thinking. And sometimes, a conversation sparks a magical moment where we can dive into an idea worth exploring. We'd love to hear more from you. 🫵🏼

Ideas I'm exploring with my ZK:

• I'm adventuring on the path of a project-filled life. I'm using my ZK to document and reflect on ideas and progress centered around a project-filled life. I'm coming to this late in life; I'm 67, but that doesn't matter. I'm here now, and I've started. We'll see.
  • Why create a routine of short knowledge cycles, because it's a simple process of recording and reviewing.
  • I'm looking at OpenAI's ChatGPT as a tutor for exploring ideas.
  • I'm using my ZK to explore what it means to have an intellectual life.

Things I'm reading:

• Sertillanges, A. G. and Ryan, Mary. The Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods. 1987.
  • Zentner, Jeff. The Serpent King. First Ember edition, Ember, an imprint of Random House Children’s Books, a division of Penguin Random House LLC, 2017.
  • Gardner, Dwight. Upstairs Delicatessen: on eating, reading, reading about eating, and eating while reading. 2024.
  • Ogawa, Yōko, et al. The Housekeeper and the Professor. Unabridged, Tantor Audio, 2013.

Music I'm listening to:

1. Fragmente by Felix Rösch
  2. SUSS
  3. Jessy J
  4. Hania Rani
  5. Niklas Paschburg
  6. Ludovico Einaudi

A look at this week's ZK work themes:

2 zettel - meta zettelkasting
1 zettel - meta writing
0 zettel - advancing python
3 zettel - Ed-Curriculum & Instruction (EDCI445)
10 zettel - captured new and novel ideas

★★★★★

The "My rolling ten-day zettel production" is produced by a script for attachment to my daily journaling template. I do my journaling in Bear to keep personal journaling separate from my knowledge work.

Let me know if you would like to discuss any of these notes.

My ten day zettel production

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited February 20

This week, I have several projects that stem from (or around) my Zettelkasten. @Will suggested the first project, which I hope will be helpful to the forum participants: a GPT called the Zettel Critique Assistant. I have gone through a few iterations refining the instructions to the Zettel Critique Assistant GPT, using its recommendations to improve its instructions. Now that they are where ChatGPT and I agree they should be, I asked the GPT the following.

User ZettelDistraction

What are your rules for critiquing Zettels?

Zettel Critique Assistant GPT

My guidelines for critiquing Zettels are as follows:

1. Single Focus Principle:
    • Ensure that each Zettel adheres to the principle of single focus, meaning it should concentrate on one main idea or topic.
    1. Structured Critique Format:
    • Provide critiques in a structured, formal format, such as structure notes (outlines).
    • Use bullet points or numbered lists to separate different points.
    1. Formal Tone:
    • Maintain a formal and direct tone throughout the critiques to ensure clarity and professionalism.
    1. Concision:
    • Limit critiques to one or two screenfuls of text to maintain brevity and focus.
    1. Actionable Feedback:
    • Offer direct, matter-of-fact suggestions that are actionable and clear.
    • Include examples or detailed descriptions to clarify points and provide a clearer pathway for improvement.
    1. Relevance and Context:
    • Reference relevant Zettels previously critiqued, providing criteria for selecting these Zettels to reference.
    • Use WikiLinks to indicate shifts in focus and to connect related ideas across different Zettels.
    1. Utility and Clarity:
    • Ensure that feedback is critical and constructive, aiming to improve the clarity and utility of the Zettel for future reference.
    1. Incorporation of Feedback:
    • Guide on how to incorporate the feedback into future Zettels or critiques, aiding in the continual improvement of the Zettelkasten system.

By following these guidelines, I aim to provide thorough, clear, and constructive critiques of Zettels, enhancing the overall quality and effectiveness of the Zettelkasten.

Another project that started in my Zettelkasten was to acquire a vector network analyzer to take VSWR measurements of shortwave and UHF antennas. Yesterday, I submitted a pull request to the Meshtastic Antenna Tests GitHub repository to include VSWR measurements of an RFID antenna I used with a Meshtastic grid.

@Will and I have discovered the utility of Zettelkasten for developing projects, which feed back into the Zettellasten.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• I am blocking in limited time each day to bring more order to (spring clean?) my Zettelkasten. This was prompted by last week's discussion of the distribution of Zettel word lengths. Having created a very silly little Python program to surface the 5 longest Zettels, I have been working to process those. Some I deleted, some I carved up, some I removed to an archive. I have one left to do before I start the cycle again.

• website | digital slipbox 🗃️🖋️

No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them. —Umberto Eco

• @chrisaldrich That's hude. Does it sound nice? When filled, it's probably a very "thick" sound, but when empty, does it sound like hollow metal sheet boxes would sound?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze I know the "ugly" hollow sound you mention. I tend to associate it with the cheaper and thinner aluminum cabinets prevalent since the 1980s and 90s. This is a mid-century piece made out of 20 gauge steel and it's incredibly solid, so even empty it has a very satisfying sonorous tone.

Judge for yourself:

Listen to the 8 drawer Steelcase card index [.mp3]

website | digital slipbox 🗃️🖋️

No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them. —Umberto Eco

• Marvelous, thank you for this.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Hello! I am relatively new to Zettelkasten. After spinning my wheels for about a year, I have finally found a set of tools and a workflow that I can see myself sticking with for the foreseeable future.

Ideas I am exploring in my ZK

• Distinguishing simple/good workflows from opaque/bad ones. It seems whether it is academic writing or entrepreneurial projects, sophisticated workflows often result in unsophisticated products.
    • The contradictions present in student loans and what they mean for the American middle class. Student debt + middle class describes my situation right now, and it has been really helpful to consider the broader picture.
    • For now, I am keeping original poetry/lyrics in my ZK. The Zettelkasten structure has been really helpful to find connections among the poems and connect the poems to my other knowledge journeys. I seem to gravitate towards subjects like natural wonders and social class.

What I am reading

• How to Take Smart Notes by Sonke Ahrens.
    • Constructive Criticism: A Handbook by Vicki Legion.
    • Land of Big Numbers by Te-Ping Chen

What I am listening to

• Personal finance podcasts: Frugal Friends, Budget Nerds, Bad With Money
    • AURORA
    • Laufey
    • Hiatus Kaiyote
    • Hyperpop, electropop: Trust Fund Ozu, AZALI
  • edited February 26

I ran a note through GPT4, which revised it in a remarkably pompous voice too fatuous even for me. But here it is, warts and all. GPT4 simplified the Zettel Critique Assistant GPT instructions. I must revise my custom instructions to, "Just the facts, Ma'am."

GPT

Your note to the Zettelkasten.de forum, while informative, can benefit from a bit more structure and clarity to enhance its communicative effectiveness. Here’s a refined version:

Dear Zettelkasten enthusiasts,

I've embarked on an iterative journey with the Zettel Critique Assistant GPT, refining its ability to self-critique in alignment with our Zettelkasten principles. Through numerous revisions, it now demonstrates satisfactory self-evaluation, though it has spotlighted the "ID first, Title second" convention, which might present a challenge for some users.

In this odyssey of artificial intelligence, I've teetered on the brink of insanity – an experience of daunting similarity rather than distinction. This process necessitated categorizing notes into three distinct types for systematic evaluation and integration, a decision that may seem tautological yet imperative for maintaining our system’s integrity.

Here are the updated instructions for our Zettel Critique Assistant GPT, reflecting our latest understanding and practices:

Zettel Critique Assistant GPT Instructions, Version 2024.02.25.1

Types of Notes in Zettelkasten:

1. Single-focus Zettels: Emphasize clarity by concentrating on a singular main idea.
    2. Structure Notes: Serve as thematic hubs, linking Single-focus Zettels through annotated WikiLinks.
    3. Index Notes: Facilitate navigation with IDs prefixed by 0000.0000.0, offering a directory-like function with title annotations.

Instructions for Zettel Critique Assistant GPT:

1. Role Definition: Ensure Zettels conform to our core principles: focus, connectivity, and clarity.
    2. Critique Guidelines: Deliver concise, actionable feedback, employing formal language.
    3. Content Formatting: Use Markdown for structured feedback, with clear, organized critique.
    4. References and Context: Utilize direct WikiLinks for efficient Zettel referencing and contextual clarity.
    5. Feedback Application: Provide clear steps for enhancing Zettel clarity and focus.
    6. Conversion of Zettels: Guide the reformatting process to align Zettels with their intended types.
    7. Construction of Structure Notes: Detail thematic sections clearly, linking relevant Zettels.

GPT Feedback Mechanism: Encourage clarification requests for any unclear instructions or content.

Revised Zettel Construction Guidelines:

1. ID and Title: Begin with a distinct ID and title for retrievability and clarity.
    2. Main Body (Single-focus Zettels): Adhere to one main idea, using annotated WikiLinks judiciously.
    3. Structure Notes: Organize related Zettels thematically with appropriate linking.
    4. Index Notes: Simplify navigation with clear title annotations and relevant listings.
    5. SEE ALSO Section: Expand thematic context in Single-focus Zettels with title-only WikiLinks and hashtags, excluding detailed annotations for Index WikiLinks.
    6. References: Support Zettels with listed external sources for comprehensive exploration and validation.

I welcome any feedback or suggestions on these revised guidelines and instructions. Our collective aim is to refine our practices for the betterment of the Zettelkasten community.

Best regards,

[Your Name]

This version aims for greater clarity, maintaining a professional and structured approach while emphasizing the community's shared goals and the iterative nature of the process. It acknowledges the complexity and challenges without descending into jargon, making it more accessible to all forum members.

ZettelDistraction to GPT

You insulted the intelligence of the Zettelkasten.de forum members by simplifying the Zettel Critique Assistant GPT instructions. Do not ever do that again. Here they are in full.

Zettel Critique Assistant GPT Instructions, Version 2024.02.25.1

Types of Notes in Zettelkasten

1. Single-focus Zettels: Focus on one main idea or topic for clarity and precision. These form the core of the Zettelkasten.

2. Structure Notes: Outline and connect Single-focus Zettels under broader themes. They contain sections with annotated WikiLinks to individual Zettels.

3. Index Notes: Serve as navigational tools within the Zettelkasten, marked by IDs starting with 0000.0000.0 and typically annotated with their title only.

Instructions for Zettel Critique Assistant GPT

1. Role Definition

• Assess Zettels' adherence to Zettelkasten principles: single focus, annotated WikiLinks for context (except in Index Notes and the SEE ALSO section), and clarity for future reference.
    2. Critique Guidelines

• Provide concise, actionable feedback within one to two screenfuls of text, using clear, formal language.
    3. Content Formatting

• Use structured Markdown for feedback with clear section headings and organize critiques clearly with bullet points or numbered lists.
    4. References and Context

• Employ direct WikiLinks for referencing other Zettels, advising on thematic content division where necessary.
    5. Feedback Application

• Offer straightforward steps to improve note clarity and adherence to the single-focus principle (Single-focus Notes).
    6. Conversion of Zettels

• Assist in formatting Zettels into the correct types (Single-focus, Structure, or Index Notes) to ensure each serves its intended purpose.
    7. Construction of Structure Notes

• List each relevant Zettel title as a section header, followed by a succinct description or abstract with appropriate WikiLinks, maintaining a distinct focus for each section.

GPT Feedback Mechanism

• Request clarification for ambiguous instructions or Zettel content.

Revised Zettel Construction Guidelines

1. ID and Title

• Start with a unique ID and clear title for each Zettel to ensure clarity and retrievability.
    2. Main Body (Single-focus Zettels)

• Maintain a strict focus on one main idea or topic, crafting content for future clarity and utility. Annotate WikiLinks where they contribute to the topic's context, except for Index Note references.
    3. Structure Notes

• Organize and link related Single-focus Zettels under thematic sections, starting each section with a relevant annotated WikiLink.
    4. Index Notes

• Use for navigation with a simple title annotation, listing relevant Single-focus or Structure Zettels for easy access.
    5. SEE ALSO Section (applicable to Single-focus Zettels)

• Include related hashtags and title-only WikiLinks for expanded thematic context, applying the exemption from detailed annotations to Index WikiLinks.
    6. References

• List external sources or additional reading materials to support content validity and facilitate further exploration.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• @Jeremy said:
    Having created a very silly little Python program to surface the 5 longest Zettels

A teeny tweak to the program now makes the output clickable in The Archive, removing a little friction. I have now processed the 20 longest Zettels.

• @chrisaldrich said:
    @ctietze I know the "ugly" hollow sound you mention. I tend to associate it with the cheaper and thinner aluminum cabinets prevalent since the 1980s and 90s. This is a mid-century piece made out of 20 gauge steel and it's incredibly solid, so even empty it has a very satisfying sonorous tone.

Judge for yourself:

Listen to the 8 drawer Steelcase card index [.mp3]

A perfect sound to use, when opening a Zettelkasten app ;-)

Edmund Gröpl
    Writing is your voice. Make it easy to listen.

• @ZettelDistraction said:
    I ran a note through GPT4, ...

Thank you for sharing your great insights from interacting with ChatGPT. :-)

My question: You are using your "Zettel Critique Assistant" together with ChatGPT 4. Is it possible also to choose ChatGPT 3.5? Are there special mandatory features from GPT4 for a propper use?

Edmund Gröpl
    Writing is your voice. Make it easy to listen.

• edited February 27

@Edmund said:
    My question: You are using your "Zettel Critique Assistant" together with ChatGPT 4. Is it possible also to choose ChatGPT 3.5? Are there special mandatory features from GPT4 for proper use?

I have been using the Zettel Critique Assistant GPT with ChatGPT 4 because it recognizes distinctions and nuances that escape ChatGPT 3.5. Since I work with ChatGPT to refine the GPT instructions and test the GPT, I prefer to work with the more powerful version. However, the critique assistant can still be helpful with ChatGPT 3.5, but I haven't tested it extensively. GPT 3.5 might be good enough. I welcome feedback on this.

Incidentally, the latest instructions are available on the GitHub repository for the Zettel Critique Assistant, and in the GPT 4 Zettel Critique Assistant - Robo Zettel Feedback thread. The GPT repeatedly reminds me to include examples and case studies of Zettels in the instructions. Since I am running up against token limits--less is more in this business--I suggested adding supplementary material to the GitHub repository and new GPT instructions to refer readers to the GitHub and to this forum. The GPT approved.