Zettelkasten Forum

Final period punctuation symbol on single sentences

edited May 2023 in Writing

Do you think finishing single sentences on a digital block with the final period "." punctuation symbol makes sense on a digital ZK? As a visual convention, it seems it shouldn't be necessary.

David Delgado Vendrell
www.daviddelgado.cat

Final period on single sentences
  1. Redundant and/or unnecessary?5 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%

Comments

• If it is a complete sentence, use a period at the end, except if it is a heading (H1, H2, etc.). In the publications that I read and produce, a heading usually does not end with a period, even when it is a sentence. Other kinds of blocks usually end with a period if they are sentences. Some typographers choose to typeset a list of bullet points that are all single sentences without terminal periods, since the bullet points serve as the punctuation, but that is a change that could be made during the editorial process if necessary.

If you are collecting notes to be used for written publication, it makes sense to follow the style guide typically used for publications in your professional field or geographic region.

I voted "No" in the survey, but I wasn't sure which question to answer, since there were two different questions, one positive ("Do you think finishing single sentences ... makes sense ...?" and one negative ("Redundant and/or unnecessary?"). I answered "No" to the negative question.

• Here is another way to think about it: The final period is useful because it tells you that the block is a sentence without having to read it. You can just glance at it, and you know it is a sentence because there is a period at the end. Without the period, you would have to read it to know whether it forms a sentence or not.

• list of bullet points that are all single sentences without terminal periods, since the bullet points serve as the punctuation

The above is for me how I see a text-block (a bulleted list of sentences). Is the "bullet" the replacement for the period at the end?

David Delgado Vendrell
    www.daviddelgado.cat

• @daviddelven said:

The above is for me how I see a text-block (a bulleted list of sentences). Is the "bullet" the replacement for the period at the end?

Some typographers treat bullet points that way, but I would say that treatment is not standard. It depends on the style guide in use. In the Chicago Manual of Style, for academic writing in US American English, bullet points (unordered list items) have a terminal period if they are complete sentences:

There are two basic types of lists: (1) unordered, in which the items are introduced by a bullet or other such marker or by nothing at all, and (2) ordered, in which items are introduced by numbers or letters. If the list is unordered, and unless the items consist of com­plete sentences, each item carries no end punctuation and each can usu­ally begin lowercase (except for proper nouns). For lists whose items re­quire more prominence, capitalization may instead be preferred; choose one approach and follow it consistently. — Chicago Manual of Style
  • Good resource example. Capital character is also another visual convention to consider in such a scenario.

David Delgado Vendrell
    www.daviddelgado.cat

• Ah, list items 🤔 I'm sloppy with these, sometimes, because I remember I had to add punctuation at least twice for old notes.

But I guess I adhere to rules similar to https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/lists/bulleted

• Complete sentences end in a period.
    • Things that do not end in a period:
      • item lists
      • words
      • phrases

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• In my case, I capitalize the following:

• A1. Sentences (grammar syntaxis exists)

And I don't capitalize:

• B1. single words on a list
    • B2. tags (I use the pascalCase notation)
    • B3. terms on my library (i.e. technological watch, semiotic triangle)

That said, I lack the knowledge to understand the real benefits of using it or not. I have the slight idea that the right use of grammar, regardless of the context, will always help for various purposes. But the preference, unless it is a publishing requirement, should be personal. Some of the considerations might be clarity, readability, long-form future conversion, writing speed, and consistency... The last one, for me, is the most difficult within my notes, due to the acquired habit of writing/typing in a grammar-based way.

David Delgado Vendrell
    www.daviddelgado.cat

• That said, I lack the knowledge to understand the real benefits of using it or not

In the end you're dealing with text, displayed by a machine. Your the main benefactor. Does it read well? Please your eye? Make sense? Look (un)finished?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/