Zettelkasten Forum

WorkFlowy

Hey!
I saw that WorkFlowy supports:
-links to other documents
-tags
-saved searches (these can even be specified to take place in the root structure or a sub-"folder")

I've got two questions. I am aware of the fact that there might be problems with exporting the info (one can "export all" - either as plain text (but one large document, not separated in files) or as "OPML." These export options are quite a drawback.

Apart from this, my first question:
What would be the disadvantages of using WorkFlowy for my Zettelkasten? The interface is a little more complicated than TA, but still pretty "minimalistic," for my taste.

My second one:
Is there something I should know/read so that I wouldn't be asking this question? I didn't see WorkFlowy mentioned here a lot, so probably it is not considered appropriate for the objective of creating and maintaining a Zettelkasten.

I am looking forward to your reply!

With kind regards,
Lukas

Comments

• @lukasweichselbaum said:
    Hey!
    I saw that WorkFlowy supports:>
    Apart from this, my first question:
    What would be the disadvantages of using WorkFlowy for my Zettelkasten? The interface is a little more complicated than TA, but still pretty "minimalistic," for my taste.

My second one:
    Is there something I should know/read so that I wouldn't be asking this question? I didn't see WorkFlowy mentioned here a lot, so probably it is not considered appropriate for the objective of creating and maintaining a Zettelkasten.

Hi Lukas. I'm not that familiar with WorkFlowy, although I have looked at it briefly. So I'm not really the right person to answer your questions. But one obvious drawback, to which you have alluded, is that you are working with a proprietary system (usually some kind of database), which you don't necessarily understand and definitely don't control. And you have no idea of its longevity. Software that works with plain text files has a huge advantage.

There is a variety of software that does work with plain text files. You should be able to find one that suits your other purposes as well.

• @lukasweichselbaum said:
    Is there something I should know/read so that I wouldn't be asking this question?

There have been Zettelkasten implemented with nothing more than paper and pencil so it is really hard to agree on standard features and support.

We love to discuss Zettelkasten method (ZKM) designs and share ideas and experiences. The forum is the right place to ask any questions. We would absolutely love seeing how ZKM can be used with WorkFlowy.

One disadvantage using WorkFlowy is the lack of experience by the forum. Nobody shared his / her experience with this approach so far. This might not be a concern to you.

I do not know WorkFlowy but at first glance it is definitely not an appropriate recommendation for beginners on ZKM.

It is always recommended to start with plain text files or paper. You can upgrade your system anytime later on.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• I use Workflowy for my Zettelkasten. It is a fantastic solution. You can update and get access to your Zettelkasten on mobile (iOS and Android), in your browser or with desktop apps on Mac and Windows. Although it is web-based, you can get a daily full backup of your Workflowy account in a single .txt file in Dropbox (paid version only, which I happily pay for) - therefore it is easy to import your complete Zettelkasten into another text-based system should you want to move away from Workflowy. Workflowy is a powerful, yet simple, solution. Search capacity is superb and super fast, both for tags and within text. Linking internally is easy, both through tags and with Zettel IDs (I use TextExpander to create Zettel IDs).

• @HermannThiel said:
    I use Workflowy for my Zettelkasten. It is a fantastic solution. You can update and get access to your Zettelkasten on mobile (iOS and Android), in your browser or with desktop apps on Mac and Windows. Although it is web-based, you can get a daily full backup of your Workflowy account in a single .txt file in Dropbox (paid version only, which I happily pay for) - therefore it is easy to import your complete Zettelkasten into another text-based system should you want to move away from Workflowy. Workflowy is a powerful, yet simple, solution. Search capacity is superb and super fast, both for tags and within text. Linking internally is easy, both through tags and with Zettel IDs (I use TextExpander to create Zettel IDs).

I was looking for some feedback about using Zettelkasten with WorkFlowy and I found this thread.
    Hope it’s still active :-D

May I ask you how you use TextExpander to create UID?
    And how do you use UID inside your WorkFlowy?

I’ve being testing WorkFlowy for some week and found great, but still wondering if it may be my Zettelkasten platform.

• I found a great recent blog post detailing one person's Zettelkasten system in Workflowy: https://www.jiribenedikt.com/zettelkasten/

It is written in Czech, but Google Translate can translate it into English and other languages:
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=cs&tl=en&u=https://www.jiribenedikt.com/zettelkasten/

• I am glad others are finding WorkFlowy useful as a tool for Zettelkasten and much, much more. I played around with Roam, Obsidian, Zettlr, The Archive and others. Time and again I find myself coming back to WorkFlowy. The search function is spectacular. It almost makes tagging unnecessary. For me, the most compelling feature is that my complete WorkFlowy file is backed up as one .txt file on a daily basis in my dropbox. It is magic. My whole life in one text file. That makes it so easy to backup in multiple places, and share. It makes creating a printout backup of everything extremely easy. When I review the single file, it is like one big commonplace book. I use it for journaling, brainstorming, task and project management (using its kanban features), and of course for note-taking/Zettelkasten. I have not yet had the courage to write up how I use it. Perhaps one day.

• @HermannThiel

Your description sounds intriguing; I hope you do tell us more about how you use Workflowy.

• Also curious about Workflowy. I use TA at the moment. Generally, I love it. But often find it frustrating that I can't use on mobile. On one hand, it's definitely better to write on a computer. On the other, I have young children + a FT job, and sometimes the only writing time I get is with my son asleep on my lap. So working the ability to work on my ZK on mobile is often the difference between doing so and not. I already use Workflowy. It seems like a good option. That said, I haven't found a way to create a UID (on desktop and mobile) for each note. Anyone know how to do this?

• @tchen said:
    I found a great recent blog post detailing one person's Zettelkasten system in Workflowy: https://www.jiribenedikt.com/zettelkasten/

I have to thank you for providing such an amazing source! I used to write in workflowy and I enjoyed seeing how another guy uses the app for his zettelkasten. Also, seeing it in another language and by someone who isn't in north america was like a breath of fresh air! It's always good to see how people do stuff around the globe.

• Not to pull you off course by you may why to look at LOGSEQ if you’re set on an outliner.

• @bradfordfournier said:
    Not to pull you off course by you may why to look at LOGSEQ if you’re set on an outliner.

Do you use it for your zettelkasten?