Zettelkasten Forum

Hello from Granada Hills, California

Hi,
My name is Vienna.

I discovered Zettlekasten about 3 years ago when I read Sonke Ahrens How to Take Smart Notes and have struggled with it ever since. I started out with manual notes - that didn't work for me. I'm just too all over the place.

Then I tried Roam and honestly that didn't work well either. I had trouble finding notes bi-directional linking notwithstanding.

Somewhere I stumbled upon Workflowey. I've been using Workflowey combined with a manual card index, supplemented with another manual index in a journal for close to a year now. It works very well for me. From the moment I opened Workflowey I stopped using Roam - it was an incredibly smooth transition. Not only can you back up to Dropbox, exports are easy as is printing. I LOVE Workflowey.

All of that said I'm so happy to find an active community around Zettlekasten - I still struggle with mine and am always looking for how other people are implementing.

As to what I use it for - I'm afraid nothing as high minded as some of the other users here. I am not a researcher - I am a small business owner and a wannabe writer with a couple of blogs. I started my Zettlekasten to improve my reading retention and of course to help me find and connect notes and highlights from my reading.

Looking forward to exploring this site and meeting people on this forum. Thanks:)

Comments

• @vmc Welcome aboard -- and sorry this got stuck in the review queue :)

As to what I use it for - I'm afraid nothing as high minded as some of the other users here. I am not a researcher - I am a small business owner and a wannabe writer with a couple of blogs. I started my Zettlekasten to improve my reading retention and of course to help me find and connect notes and highlights from my reading.

I'm no researcher, either, so sounds like a good start to me!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @vmc Welcome! There are all sorts of characters and ideas floating around here; I'm sure you find something of interest :smiley:

• @vmc Welcome indeed! Good to have another Southern California here (I'm just a few miles away in the foothills of Altadena.) I haven't tinkered much with workflowy yet myself, but I know the topic pops up in the forum every now and then, so do search around if you haven't already.

website | digital slipbox 🗃️🖋️

No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them. —Umberto Eco