Zettelkasten Forum

Performance problem with long(ish) text file

I like using the Omnibar for a filename search, followed by a couple arrows to select a file, followed then by tab and Option-Down Arrow to get to the last line of a document, ready for text entry.

I have a text file (journal.txt) that's currently 85 KB (gets cleaned out once a year) and is 1170 lines long. After tabbing into the document, The Archive is hanging for a couple seconds before finishing the navigation command. After these couple seconds, everything runs as normal, making me think there is some heavy parsing going on when it first loads the document. There is some minor markdown in the document which may add to the load.

Has anyone else seen an initial slowness when loading larger text documents, or does it seem my problem may not be about performance?

Thank you all.

Comments

• Thanks for bringing this up! I'll have to fix a few parser related issues, @rrieke, that mostly surface in long lists. I'll experiment with a file containing 1000+ lines, too. In the end, the app will be using the official MultiMarkdown thingie, which is both incredibly fast and feature-complete, but I'm not there yet :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Very awesome! Thank you for this beautiful tool. Let me know if I can help with any testing.

• Thanks for mentioning. I, too, have noticed issues with The Archive with longer notes (I had some that had meeting notes for a specific meeting over the course of a couple years). Splitting it up into separate notes from each meeting works better for how The Archive works, but it takes time. And the root cause of a ~1000 line note having a lot of lag in initial load should be fixed, I'd hope :-)

• @ctietze said:
    Thanks for bringing this up! I'll have to fix a few parser related issues, @rrieke, that mostly surface in long lists. I'll experiment with a file containing 1000+ lines, too. In the end, the app will be using the official MultiMarkdown thingie, which is both incredibly fast and feature-complete, but I'm not there yet :)

I have an 11kb doc that's made up mostly of lists and it's slow to load and to edit. Should we avoid lists in documents we plan to add to and maintain for a long time?

• Until I finished to speed up the Markdown highlighter, it's probably best to not work with huge documents or lists at the moment. Eventually, you will not be noticing a difference anymore, but for the time being, try to steer away from large files with lots of lists.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/