Zettelkasten Forum

How to move Zettelkasten to new computer

How would somebody move the Zettelkasten to a new computer?

Comments

• The joy, if you're doing it with, say, The Archive, is that everything is in plain text. So all you need to do is transfer the folder from your current computer to the new computer, using whatever method you find easiest. So, USB stick, direct cable, via an intermediary in the cloud, etc etc.

• And if you sync your folder of text files to Dropbox, they'll just show up on your new machine once you install Dropbox.

• In my case, moving the ZK is as simple as installing Dropbox in a new computer.

My ZK is in two folders, a folder containing plain text files (.txt) and an image folder (about 900 MB) both stored in Dropbox (Mac, iPad, Android phone). Other files as pdfs are everywhere in and outside the Dropbox folder but they have good filenames so I can find them relatively fast and easy.

The reason for a folder with images is that I use iA Writer and constantly switch to the markdown preview mode to see my notes. My notes have images and figures next to the text that describes the images.

• Similar Question to @nabobz -- issue of PURCHASE already made but not recognized

The scene:
    I purchased Archive last year. Love it. Use it daily. Now new computer.
    Like people in messages above, I moved my Notes (The Archive) folder to my new computer.
    Things worked great till week ago when I received message saying I didn't purchase it so no editing rights.

My need:
    Please help me to connect my account (purchase made) to new computer so I can see note content and ADD/EDIT notes.

PS... side note, request
    Today I moved The Archive Library folder on my old computer to new computer -- and that didn't go well. Now, within The Archive, the content of my notes is missing (slight panic) as well as editing function.

Thanks for any and all help,
    Laura

• @LAGIL said:
    Similar Question to @nabobz -- issue of PURCHASE already made but not recognized

The scene:
    I purchased Archive last year. Love it. Use it daily. Now new computer.
    Like people in messages above, I moved my Notes (The Archive) folder to my new computer.
    Things worked great till week ago when I received message saying I didn't purchase it so no editing rights.

My need:
    Please help me to connect my account (purchase made) to new computer so I can see note content and ADD/EDIT notes.

PS... side note, request
    Today I moved The Archive Library folder on my old computer to new computer -- and that didn't go well. Now, within The Archive, the content of my notes is missing (slight panic) as well as editing function.

Thanks for any and all help,
    Laura

No doubt Christian will be along to explain everything, but in the meantime, I will take a stab at explaining the basics. I think you should have an email with your registration number in it. You need to enter that number into the appropriate space in the Preferences of The Archive. There is no "account" as such for The Archive. Just about every program I use works the same way -- you get an email with a registration number and you have to enter it on each computer where you use the program. New computer, you have to spend (in my case) half a day entering licence codes as you install programs.

You don't actually need The Archive to add or edit notes. That is the point of the way the program works. It does not lock you in. You can edit your notes with ANY text editor -- such as Text Edit, BBEdit, you name it. The same with adding notes. You just write them in a plain text editor and save them in the folder where you have all the rest of your notes.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that you have moved The Archive Library folder. You will have to explain a bit more fully.

I'm sure everything will straighten out.

• @LAGIL To unlock the app, you need to enter your registration information as @MartinBB explained so well already. If you don't find these, shoot me an email with the address you purchased the app from and your full name, so I can look your order up and re-send the email to you. The Archive's "Help" menu has "Send Feedback" that you can use to contact me.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/