Zettelkasten Forum

Feature Request - Adding user inputted search query to Omni Bar's history

I may have requested this feature in the past, but I think this shows a better use case.

I'm often using the Omni Bar for searching with terms and Boolean operators for notes that might be relevant to create links. This is how I interact with my archive. For me, full text search rules! Everything else is secondary.

Once I enter a search and move the focus forward to check the returned notes, I can't get back to my search query by hitting the back button. I can go back to prior notes, but it would be beneficial if I'd be able to come across my search query amongst the note history so I could change it without having to remember and retype it two or three times as I refine my query and narrow the focus.

It would be helpful if the omni bar's history included user inputted queries. Its not a full history of the omni bars activity if it doesn't include user inputted searches.

For example, if I query with the omni bar prompts writing and I start looking at the notes returned and decide this is not broad enough of a search. I am tempted to use the "Back" function to try to restore to my prior state. I want to edit the search to prompts AND 'writing OR blogging but it is not there to be edited, so I have to remember what I already searched for and retype it.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• I know this is a little convoluted, but I think if I had your skill with Keyboard Maestro I might set up a macro that asks for user input, saves that to a named clipboard, then pastes it into the Omnibar. I might try it myself because I can never remember the search syntax.

• edited May 2021

@MartinBB said:
    I know this is a little convoluted, but I think if I had your skill with Keyboard Maestro I might set up a macro that asks for user input, saves that to a named clipboard, then pastes it into the Omnibar. I might try it myself because I can never remember the search syntax.

Not convoluted at all. Done! Thanks!
    Turned out to be quite simple.
    I switched the keyboard shortcut to "Search in Omnibar...' so I could interrupt its behavior. This is an important step. Be sure and edit any other macros you have that call the Omnibar with ⌘L to your new shortcut assignment.

The macro only remembers the last search and doesn't create a search history but this will 'drive the nail home' 96.71% of the time!
    Simple is as simple does!
    Now it seems I've completely abandoned the Omni Bar. I don't create new zettel from there and now I won't be searching my archive from there, what else is can the Omni Bar do? Can I hide the Omni Bar like I can the Navigation Buttons? Please.

Here is the Search Zettelkasten.kmmacros

Post edited by Will on

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Thank you, @Will ! Incidentally, I try to avoid shortcuts these days because I can never remember them. I have taken to using the method described in this video: https://youtu.be/Vjn5BmhVF6M which describes using gestures courtesy of Better Touch Tool and Keyboard Maestro instead of shortcuts. VERY handy. The video is in German (hello @Sascha and @ctietze !) so I can understand about one word in twenty, but the visuals are pretty easy to follow. Cheers!

• Memory is the second thing to go! Mine has left no forwarding address. Keyboard Maestro has a method that solves this. It also has the advantage of keeping your hand on the keyboard and not doing the task switching to a mouse or trackpad.

I did view and found the video compelling, but...

Keyboard Maestro has what is called "Conflict Palletes," which are pop-up listed of relevant macros. They are easy to make and only appear when the appropriate app is in the foreground. Tapping the first unique letter launches the macro—no reaching for the mouse or remembering which way to swipe with how many fingers.

This is a pallet of all my active macros tied to The Archive.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:
    Keyboard Maestro has what is called "Conflict Palletes"

I'm a little ahead of you! I first read about those in 2011 on Gabe Weatherhead's blog: macdrifter.com/2011/09/too-many-triggers.html

It also has the advantage of keeping your hand on the keyboard and not doing the task switching to a mouse or trackpad.

Actually, I find my hand spends much more time on the trackpad than the keyboard, so for me the switching is the other way round. I suppose I do more reading than writing.