Zettelkasten Forum

When linking notes is there a way to do it faster?

Hi!

I've been adding some notes that when I'm writing them, I have some "aha" moments or I know how they are related to to other notes, and then I remember that another note was related to this one, and so on. What I do is type [[]] and write in the omnibus the text of the note I'm searching, to copy the ID and paste it inside. It's a little time consuming and I was wondering if there is an easier way where the [[-type something-]] automatically prompts some suggestion after I type something inside.

Thanks!

Comments

• I do a search, right click the note I want to link to in the left panel, select "copy link" and paste it into the note I want the link and all done. The note I'm working in remains when I do a search, and right clicking on a note in the left panel does not change the focus.

With abandon,
    Patrick

• @DeaconPatrick said:
    I do a search, right click the note I want to link to in the left panel, select "copy link" and paste it into the note I want the link and all done. The note I'm working in remains when I do a search, and right clicking on a note in the left panel does not change the focus.

With abandon,
    Patrick

Thanks! I will try your method.

• edited May 2021

We plan to ship auto-completion inside double-brackets eventually, but haven't decided when. There's other stuff in the pipeline, so it might take until version 2.

In the meantime, there's Keyboard Maestro macros that help with this: https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/213/the-archive-keyboard-maestro-alfred-macros

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    We plan to ship auto-completion inside double-brackets eventually, but haven't decided when. There's other stuff in the pipeline, so it might take until version 2.

In the meantime, there's Keyboard Maestro macros that help with this: https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/213/the-archive-keyboard-maestro-alfred-macros

Thank you ;)

• @DeaconPatrick said:
    I do a search, right click the note I want to link to in the left panel, select "copy link" and paste it into the note I want the link and all done. The note I'm working in remains when I do a search, and right clicking on a note in the left panel does not change the focus.

With abandon,
    Patrick

So easy yet so “hidden”.
    Thank you Patrick!

• @IvanFerrero said:
    So easy yet so “hidden”.
    Thank you Patrick!

You're welcome. Christian et al put a lot of thought into how that worked, as it's atypical of what I expected. It works beautifully.

• @IvanFerrero said:

@DeaconPatrick said:

This works for me - mostly. But if I have a note "open" in the right panel and do a search, that open note disappears and the right panel says "Nothing Selected". So unless both the note I want to link and the note I want to link to can both be found by the same search, I have to manually scroll through the left panel looking for the second note - not very efficient.

Am I missing something?

• @GeoEng51 said:

This works for me - mostly. But if I have a note "open" in the right panel and do a search, that open note disappears and the right panel says "Nothing Selected". So unless both the note I want to link and the note I want to link to can both be found by the same search, I have to manually scroll through the left panel looking for the second note - not very efficient.

Am I missing something?

Well I think we have a misunderstanding here.
    I depends on the software you are using, I suppose.
    I use Apple Notes, and internal links work fine.

What software are you using?

• @GeoEng51 if this happens for you in The Archive, please check if you have the most recent version. This sounds like what I've supposedly fixed in 2021-02-14 (https://zettelkasten.de/the-archive/release-notes/) -- otherwise, please send me an email to report what you need to do to produce this bug!

• @ctietze I have version 1.6.3 (187).

I'm not sure The Archive is mis-behaving - it's just not behaving in the manner described by @DeaconPatrick in this thread on May 10.

Keep it simple - The Archive is open with my list of zettels in the left panel, one zettel selected/highlighted, and thus the text for that zettel open in the right panel. I click in the omnibar (or hit cmd + L) and then start to type in some search text. As soon as I enter the first letter of the search text, the right panel goes blank except for the message "Nothing Selected".

According to the May 10 post, if I start typing a search term in the omnibar, my zettel text should not disappear but the left panel should show the results of the search:

The note I'm working in remains when I do a search...

I don't get that far, as my right hand panel goes blank.

• Gotcha, sorry! I mis-read the talk about 2 panels to indicate what we commonly call 2 windows. I now realize that at least you are talking about one and the same window, and the left panel being the note results list sidebar, the right panel being the editor. Is that also what @DeaconPatrick meant? It sounds like it, but that surely would be odd because once you begin a new search, the editor should 'close', with the "Nothing Selected" label appearing as @GeoEng51 mentioned.

• I'm using The Archive, and what I described is how I work in The Archive. Off to see what I'm doing differently than what I described ...

@GeoEng51, you are correct, the notes must share the same search result (mine usually do, because of tagging et al), and I do have to reselect the (usually top) note I want to paste the link into. Possible workaround: open the note you want to link into in a new window or external editor.

With abandon,
    Patrick