Zettelkasten Forum

Do I need to install Rosetta to get The Archive working on an M1 Macbook?

Just bought a new MacBook and wanted to use the trial of The Archive, I am being prompted to install Rosetta to get it to work.

Thank you, happy Christmas Day.

Comments

• Yep, if it's not yet compiled for Apple Silicon, which I suspect is the case.

• edited December 2020

@Jvet Might want to wait for an answer from @ctietze if you are not in a hurry.

• @GeoEng51 said:
    @Jvet Might want to wait for an answer from @ctietze if you are not in a hurry.

Just installed it, but I hope he can give an answer, also it could be helpful to know if it is going to be compiled for Apple Silicon anytime soon.

• The current "beta" doesn't require Rosetta. Takes a bit longer than expected to get it out there, sorry!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    The current "beta" doesn't require Rosetta. Takes a bit longer than expected to get it out there, sorry!

Thank you! I'll be waiting for it. I don't enjoy using rosetta.

• @ctietze said:
    The current "beta" doesn't require Rosetta. Takes a bit longer than expected to get it out there, sorry!

I use the current release version via Rosetta, and it works just fine.

I have some pauses with one of my archives (thousands of notes, some 8-10k words long), but mostly The Archive is fast and responsive.

• I may be switching to an M1 Mac soon. Is The Archive fully compatible yet, without Rosetta?

• edited April 2021

My M1 test device is gone, so I cannot check this myself -- I believed that the latest version 1.6.1 runs without Rosetta since I prepared the release with the latest dev tools. There's no easy way to verify this for me right now, so help would be appreciated!

That being said, Rosetta2 is a much better and seamless experience than the original Rosetta we had during the Intel transition a decade ago. I've heard that Intel apps run better in Rosetta than on M1 Macs.

Post edited by ctietze on

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Thank you, Christian!

• edited April 2021

As a sidenote, in case someone does not already know: You can easily check yourself, if an app uses Rosetta. Just right click -> get info. It opens this window:

Would discord in this case, be ready for apple silicon, you would read "universal" instead of intel.

However, due to some issues with the swap memory on these machines, that are related to intel apps, it is probably a good idea to avoid them where you can. See:

• Thank you, @runit . The Archive shows as Universal, so all set. I didn't realize I could check that on a non-M1, so excellent to know.