Zettelkasten Forum

Auto-complete brackets and Markdown syntax can't get turned off

The heading says it all: Wether the Auto-complete option is ticked or not it is always active. Could you fix that, please?

I'd love to turn it off as The Archive doesn't offer actual toggling: For example CMD-I inserts two asterisks (or underscores, depending on the settings) and places the cursor in between. When hit again it does the same and does not move the cursor to the right which would be toggling.

I found this distracting as I flip back and forth between Markdown and rich text apps, and the latter all have toggling.

Comments

• That's an interesting observation -- the liking to how rich text editors behave never came to mind, to be honest. The option you're toggling off there affects typing brackets, underscores, and asterisks manually. There, the toggling behaves more like what you describe: You get an auto-completed pair of brackets/asterisks/... but when you type the closing character again, it's overwriting the auto-completed ones. That's not what happens with ⌘B/⌘I though.

A good point for discussion!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• I must apologize for my late reply.

the liking to how rich text editors behave never came to mind, to be honest

So then you are never forced to work outside of the Markdown world? No collaborating with Word, to name the most usual—and despised—subject? At least the latter is quite enviable.

Offering real toggling but only when typing the markup and not for the related menu items is quite unusual for Markdown apps too. Unusual not generally meaning bad, of course.

But would it cause harm to any user's workflow if CMD-I etc. does what typing just asterisks already does?

Or as an alternative if the setting for auto-completion affected CMD-I etc. too so it could be just switched off?

• edited April 2021

But would it cause harm to any user's workflow if CMD-I etc. does what typing just asterisks already does?

i have no opinion on what is real or unusual. I am under the impression that ctrl+*, ctrl+_, ctrl+# tends to be used for wrapping, ctrl+i, ctrl+b, ctrl+u, etc for toggling. This is based on personal observation and only valid for the English locale (en).

Microsoft products have several different key bindings per locale, even though still using Latin alphabet, which i find absolutely madness! Whoever came up with this decision, i hate this person.

See sacred keybindings for reference, but unfortunately the standard is there is no standard.

Post edited by zk_1000 on

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• edited April 2021

@zk_1000 said:
    i have no opinion on what is real or unusual. I am under the impression that ctrl+*, ctrl+_, ctrl+# tends to be used for wrapping, ctrl+i, ctrl+b, ctrl+u, etc for toggling. This is based on personal observation and only valid for the English locale (en).

Microsoft products have several different key bindings per locale, even though still using Latin alphabet, which i find absolutely madness! Whoever came up with this decision, i hate this person.

So true. In the 90ties the shortcut for italics in the German version of Word was CTRL-K as "kursiv" is the German term for italics. And CTRL-F toggled bold ("fett"). Then CTRL—which by the way on a German keyboard is STRG for "Steuerung"—CTRL-F become universally(ish) used as the shortcut for Find ("Finden" in German, which for once fits). After that Microsoft switched to Shift-CTRL-F for bold/fett and Shift-CTRL-K for italics/kursiv and Shift-CTRL-U for underlined/unterstrichen.

The Mac, at least since its OS X days, went for CMD-I, CMD-B, and CDM-U in all languages using the Latin alphabet to my knowledge.