Zettelkasten Forum

Best way to rename notes?

Good day,

I've just installed the Archive, and it looks great! I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut to rename a note?
  2. Is there a way to automatically show timestamp_id and title (or the first line of the note) in the left-hand-side list?

Right now, I have to right-click on it – but, unfortunately, "Rename" is right above "Delete", and I end up clicking "delete" quite often.

Thank you,
Olexiy

Comments

• edited February 2021

Hi @Olexiy!

The keyboard shortcut ⌘-R to rename a note already exists in the app.

I have the note title both in the filename and in the actual note, so I use a Keyboard Maestro macro to change the filename automatically after I've changed the title in the note. The macro is based on the first three lines of a note looking like this (UID is the standard, unique 12-digit number that many people here use when naming their notes):

[[UID]]

# Title of the Note

• @Olexiy said:
    2. Is there a way to automatically show timestamp_id and title (or the first line of the note) in the left-hand-side list?

Olexiy, the way this is done is to include a UID ⌘U in the note's title.

When creating a note from the OMNI BAR, enter the shortcut for the UID `⌘U and then the title. This is the usual practice.

Watch a demo.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Will, thank you very much! The video is super-helpful!
    I was creating notes via Command-N, so I was missing on this feature!

@Will said:

@Olexiy said:

Olexiy, the way this is done is to include a UID ⌘U in the note's title.

When creating a note from the OMNI BAR, enter the shortcut for the UID `⌘U and then the title. This is the usual practice.

Watch a demo.