Zettelkasten Forum

vim users: how did you set up vim for zettelkasten?

Hi everybody,

i use vim (actually neovim) for everything writing. Which makes vim my first choice for a zettelkasten implementation. Now I'm curious how others handle their zettelkasten with vim.

1. How does your setup look like? What plug-ins do you use? What have you added to your vimrc as configurations for your zettelkasten?
  2. How does your workflow look like? How to do you actually use vim as a zettelkasten?

Many thanks for your input and cheers

agata

Comments

• xalxal
    edited February 16

I use MacVim as the external editor associated with The Archive app.

If you are on Mac, you can use https://lord.io/blog/2014/alfred-quicknote/ with Vim. Vim is the editor and the Alfred workflow implements the search function.

• Since I am using vim in combination with vimwiki and some self-written scripts for my zettelkasten, your post was motivation for me to create a short no-sound video. It basically shows:
    1) parts of my vimrc (not all of it is relevant, actually just the F2/F4 macros)
    2) my zettelkasten index and the keyword list (3 windows of vim open simulateously)
    3) me navigating in the notes
    4) me creating a new note and running the update script in the background (which is just some clumsy shell script I wrote myself to automatically update the index site, backlinks and keywords)

Video: https://www.bitchute.com/video/wlFZJ8ltQTgg/

• I made a whole big personal program for this see github.

It allows for many things I like. For example, I've got this 'neighbourhood' command that allows me to use fzf to navigate to wherever the current zettel links to, the zettels that link to the current zettel and to their links. It is really fun way for delving into the zettelkasten.

Also, Luhmann talks about his zettelkasten 'speaking' to him. A digital zettelkasten can quite literally do that nowadays. Also, a digital system can make active demands, such as asking for links to unlinked zettels or suggesting that too big zettels are broken apart.

I found the speaking part quite useless, but making the system occasionally demand more links is really nice in practise.

I think that Zettelkasten makes for an excellent personal programming project. Since it's personal, it's ok if it occasionally misbehaves and it also stands to greatly benefit from personalization.

• @lunario said:
    Since I am using vim in combination with vimwiki and some self-written scripts for my zettelkasten, your post was motivation for me to create a short no-sound video. It basically shows:
    1) parts of my vimrc (not all of it is relevant, actually just the F2/F4 macros)
    2) my zettelkasten index and the keyword list (3 windows of vim open simulateously)
    4) me creating a new note and running the update script in the background (which is just some clumsy shell script I wrote myself to automatically update the index site, backlinks and keywords)

Many thanks for your vid. It is very helpful.
    I see you have vimwiki, vim-zettelkasten and notational fzf configured. These are basically the plugins I use myself.
    Now, I have a rather impertinent ;) question: Is there any way I could get my hands on your script?
    I don't have much experience with shell scripts, especially those pertaining to vim, thus the task of writing one on my own from scratch seems rather daunting.

Cheers

agata

• @discordian said:
    I made a whole big personal program for this see github.

I so have to dive into that! B)

• @discordian said:
    I made a whole big personal program for this see github.

Oh no it's written in Haskell 😭 That'll take a while to unpack :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Well, Haskell is what I do to relax and when I don't want to think too hard about programming (and maintainance!) :smile:

Anyhow, I added a 'screenshot' of a zettel to github readme, which probably shows most things it can do when compared to the program help text already on github.

• @lunario said:
    Since I am using vim in combination with vimwiki and some self-written scripts for my zettelkasten, your post was motivation for me to create a short no-sound video. It basically shows:

I see you have vimwiki, vim-zettelkasten and notational fzf configured. These are basically the plugins I use myself.
    Now, I have a rather impertinent ;) question: Is there any way I could get my hands on your script?
    I don't have much experience with shell scripts, especially those pertaining to vim, thus the task of writing one on my own from scratch seems rather daunting.

Cheers

agata

• @aga said:

@lunario said:

Cheers

agata

Actually, I am not using vim-zettelkasten, I just tried it once but figured I will be better off using my own scripts. It's still in my vimrc for some reason though.

I sent you a PM with my code.