Zettelkasten Forum

What's Your "List of Three" (books to start with Zettelkasten)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Books about Personal Knowledge Management and Zettelkasten.

Comments

• When I ask my Zettelkasten for a list of books about Zettelkasten, it shows me more than one book:

But as you can see, most of them have a "backlog" status. Is it necessary to read all of them? I decided to shorten the list to "useful books". And here is my list of three:

How does your list of three looks like?

Edmund Gröpl
    Writing is your voice. Make it easy to listen.

• @Edmund Challenge accepted! :)

• edited July 15

I love it. 😀👍 But which book to read first?

Post edited by Edmund on

Edmund Gröpl
    Writing is your voice. Make it easy to listen.

• @Edmund Challenge accepted! :)

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I will try to remember this. I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Edmund said:
    I love it. 😀👍 But which book to read first?

Same sequence as in the picture. I also like @Will 's picks.

• Edmund's question about books on the Zettelkasten has prompted a critical revision of my book collection

My favourites in these years (2023/2024) are the following three books:

Zettelwirtschaft: Markus Krajewski
    repeatedly since 2002, as an overview of the methodological and technical base of Luhmann's Zettelkasten

Sönke Ahrens: The Slipbox Principle
    since 2018, as a combination of the classic Zettelkasten-strategy with the potential of the personal computer.

Ivo Velitchkov: Personal Knowledge Graphs
    since 2023, as an outlook on the potential of the clearer integration of notes and connections through vector systems. Gains additional importance through LLMs.

immer am Rand der Sammlerfalle

• @rl911 Which chapter in Zettelwirtschaft do you feel has the best overview of the " methodological and technical base of Luhmann's Zettelkasten"? The English translation of the book, Paper Machines , does not go into any detail about Luhmann's specific methods.

• edited July 20

@JasperMcFly Luhmann's Zettelkasten itself is not the subject of the
    book but the predecessors. The chapter "Box/Thinking" p. 64ff (Kasten/Denken) offers a brief overview from Gassner 1548 to the new storage systems of the 19th century. The term "basis" refers to the predecessors of Luhmann Zettelkasten. Luhmann, a lawyer, initially used the "scholarly machines" (Gelehrtenmaschinen) of writers and the index card systems of bureaucrats for his job in administration and later for the development of his systems theory.

immer am Rand der Sammlerfalle

• Ok, thank you for your reply. I am a big fan of Krajewski's writing. Just wanted to make sure the English translation was not missing something. Thank you.

• edited July 20

Bob Doto's book, newly available on Amazon, is probably the most straightforward book I've read. The examples are very helpful. Here is the reference (note: no links--no one can accuse me of affiliate marketing):

Doto, Bob. A System for Writing: How an Unconventional Approach to Note-Making Can Help You Capture Ideas, Think Wildly, and Write Constantly - A Zettelkasten Primer.

Johannes Schmidt's research papers are excellent, though they aren't books.

Ivo Velitchkov's book is a dreary mixed bag that recasts old ideas as if they were new. In place of that, there's the old, reliable "How to take smart notes," by Sonke Ahrens, which Bob Doto's book makes obsolete.

GitHub. Erdős #2. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Alter ego (1st-order): Erel Dogg. Alter egos of Erel Dogg (2nd-order): Distracteur des Zettel, HueLED PacArt Lovecraft. I have no direct control over the 2nd-order alter egos. CC BY-SA 4.0.

• One book and two papers:

And of course the real deal, Luhmann's original Zettelkasten, starting at ZK II Zettel 9/8.