Zettelkasten Forum

Critique My Note Refactoring Journey

This idea has been festering since February when @Andy brought up @Philaquino post1. It's a prime example of refactoring a large collection of notes collected during my reading. 2

Let's examine the format, process, or content of this note. How does it fit into the ZKM scheme? Is this approach even appropriate?

First, I owe some shout-outs.
@Andy — A big thank you for suggesting this book and hinting that IBIS has some use in research and note-taking. Your suggestion started me documenting questions each idea asks or solves.

@ZettelDistraction — Your thoughts on building the "Zettel Critique GPT" sparked some ideas. Specifically, the concept of a section called SEE ALSO and a footnote link in the body of the note keeps the flow of the text smooth without the distribution of interspersed wiki links and any annotation.

This text is from 1921, and ideas about philosophy, religion, and intellectual life have changed. Keeping the ideas expressed in this context is vital for getting the most value from the book.

Organic Development of Notes

Table of contents

956 Words
1 idea

---
UUID: ›[[202407061920]]
cdate: 07-06-2024 07:20 PM
tags: #note-taking #research
---

Subatomic: Thinking while note-taking involves differentiating between general idea gathering and specific, targeted research.

This comes from an interesting source: the English translation of a thesis of a French Catholic philosopher who was a professor of moral philosophy. This book, _The Intellectual Life_2, is a practical guide for how to structure one's life so as to make progress as a scholar and a clear description of how I try to approach my zettelkasting.

Principles/Questions

• How does the method of note-taking influence the quality and outcome of intellectual work?

Key Ideas/Positions

• A flexible, inspiration-driven approach to note-taking allows for a more organic development of ideas and plans. This method contrasts with rigid, pre-planned note-taking strategies and encourages intellectual freedom and joy in discovery.

Observations/Notes

• Notes are a sort of external memory. Sometimes called an external brain or second brain. Montaigne called them a "paper memory." (186)

Two kinds of notes.
1. Notes for the future.
- Read and reflect in order to synthesize knowledge. Ideas feel like they have a potential use.
2. Notes for immediate use.
- "When you have to study a precise subject, to produce a definite piece of work, you try to gather material, you read what has been published on the question, you have recourse to all the sources of information at your disposal, you make your reflections, and you do it all pen in hand. (187)"

• When researching a current idea, read and let notes develop in a directed way. "Set purpose like a sieve which retains the desired grain and lets the rest slip through. (191)"

Bottom-up project research approach

• This approach emphasizes flexibility and inspiration over rigid planning. It encourages exploring subjects from multiple angles, akin to gathering ideas like a bee collects pollen. The method values moments of inspiration and allows for a non-linear progression of work (192).

• Begin with simple documentation. Think and read along lines that evidently surface guiding ideas but without a so-called plan. Read around the subject. Look at who is being referenced: "You look at it in every aspect, you take soundings in an effort to leave no part of it unexplored," capture ideas like a bee gathering pollen. Bore into the ideas that you decide are worth developing; some will be found to be diamonds in the rough, and some will be worked into polished gems. Some notes in a project will be flavored by the inspiration of the moment. When we let these moments of inspiration slip away, they are lost, and our project suffers (192).

You can draw up a detailed plan and seek your documentation afterwards. You can begin with the documentation, thinking and reading along a line which evidently presupposes certain guiding ideas, but without a plan properly so-called. In this case you read round about the subject, you look at it in every aspect, you take soundings in an effort to leave no part of it unexplored; a plan begins to shape itself and you jot down the ideas like Pascal when he writes the word order at the head of a fragment; you put aside the passages that can be used as they stand; you determine the ideas that you will have to develop, noting down only their principal characteristics if these present themselves; you record the precise expressions, the felicitous comparisons that occur to you; sometimes you develop a whole passage, not with the intention of completing it, but because it comes of itself and because inspiration is like grace, which passes by and does not come back. When you think you have explored the whole ground, I mean as regards what you are aiming at or hoping for, your work is prepared; the workshop is full of materials of which some are quite in the rough, others provisionally shaped out. We shall speak presently of the work of construction (192)

• The bottom-up project approach is less logical and abstract, letting thoughts and preliminary reading wander where inspiration goes. Joy is the litmus test. Discoveries are unforced. The work proceeds at an unhurried pace.

but it is already clear in this case that the plan will spring from the materials, not the materials from the plan. This procedure, which seems the less logical and abstractly speaking is indeed so, has the advantage of leaving you freer in your thoughts and preliminary studies, of opening up the way more fully to inspiration, of keeping you in joy, because you make discoveries without forcing yourself to look precisely for them, because you can go forwards, and backwards, leave off awhile, wait for the right vein, and work only when you are fresh, without mental constraint. A work may thus be finished before it is begun; all its value is determined in your notes (193)

Compounding/Synthesis

• The appeal of a bottoms-up approach to research is the freedom it offers. You get to follow your joys and inspiration, which produces superior outcomes by allowing the organic development of ideas.

See Also

Tips for capturing ideas in notes.
- Interrogating Ideas for Deeper Insights [[202407061608]]
* A note's potential lies in its ability to spark curiosity and provoke deeper exploration.
Book note from which this note is atomized.
- The Intellectual Life [[202402140719]]
* The journey of learning transforms initial toil into a passion for life.

References

• The Intellectual Life [[202402140719]]

• The journey of learning transforms initial toil into a passion for life.
  • Sertillanges, A. G. and Ryan, Mary. The Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods. 1987.

• Antonin Sertillanges - Wikipedia

1. Sertillanges, A. G., and Mary Ryan. “The Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods.” The Catholic University of America Press, 1987. ↩︎

2. Book note from which this note is atomized.

• The journey of learning transforms initial toil into a passion for life.

↩︎ ↩︎

Will Simpson
My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I will try to remember this. I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited July 11

Oh, it's hard by definition of Zettelkasten... critique the zettelkasten of another guy I think :-)

Your way of taking notes is very different from mine (and inspires me in many things).
    It's impossible for me distinguish a real improvement from my personal taste about notetaking.
    For example you use links to other notes at the end of the note, while I have many links used like phrases into the text (like Andy Matushak)

Beyond this, anyway, I'll try to say something. Alert, personal taste.

A thing that I could do in my Zettelkasten, maybe, there are some ideas that for me would deserve a note on their own, and I can put a link here towards them.

For example:

• "Notes are a sort of external memory", it's an heavy concept, a direction to develop. And personally I don't see a strong relation with the main theme of the note. If there is, maybe has to be explained better (N.B. it's not a zettel produced by my mind, so if I can't see the relation could be because of my fault).

• Bottom-up project research approach is a note on itself for me

There are others. For example the same thing happens with other lines of text in the observation sections. They seems unrelated, other ideas (still relevant and useful, anyway).
    What you write in a note I write in many linked notes, but can be complicated to obtain my way of seeing a note without using the same way of linking. It can be hard to say if it's a matter of personal style and mindset or something to change.

When I describe a method (such bottom-up approach you described), I like to highlight
    strengths and weaknesses of it. They tipically are one of the most important elements of a method if represented in a note of mine.
    So, instead of (or into?) Compounding/Synthesis, I'd write a Strengths section.
    Having this "strenghts/weakness standard", I immediately realize that lacks the "weakness" dimension of the method. This is a red flag in my process of notemaking.
    The question arise: is the Bottom up a perfect approach? Maybe not. So, here a new direction for my thinking. When the bottom up is suitable, when It's better to prefer another one? Here is another direction.
    Having this further development makes the bottom up content much longer, so I prefer do take a separate note.

These are my first impressions after a first quickly read

Post edited by andang76 on
  • To clarify, not all my notes are as carefully structured as this one. My ZK is littered with crappy notes. This one is a sort of Instagram moment, a highly curated note.

Hey @andang76, it's hard to critique another person's system when it's such a personal thing, right? But your feedback is really valuable.

I'm seeking your suggestions, but I may not follow all of them.

I like Andy Matushak, too. I find that while using phrases in one instance makes sense, it often leads to poor grammar in another when I reapply a note's idea in a new idea stream.

You are right. The quote, "Notes are a sort of external memory..." is a branching idea that should be developed in a separate note. Thanks for pointing this out.

This is a note about bottom-up research.

When I describe a method (such bottom-up approach you described), I like to highlight strengths and weaknesses of it. They tipically are one of the most important elements of a method if represented in a note of mine. So, instead of (or into?) Compounding/Synthesis, I'd write a Strengths section. Having this "strenghts/weakness standard", I immediately realize that lacks the "weakness" dimension of the method. This is a red flag in my process of notemaking.

You make a strong point about strengths and weaknesses, it struck a chord with me.. I've not considered this as an essential part of a note until now. I'm adding this to my template.

Synthesis/Strengths/Weaknesses

The question arise: is the Bottom up a perfect approach? Maybe not. So, here a new direction for my thinking. When the bottom up is suitable, when It's better to prefer another one? Here is another direction.

Your question about whether the bottom-up approach is perfect is crucial. It opened up a new direction for my thinking. I went with Sertillanges's view that the bottom-up approach to note-taking was superior without considering the context in which a note is being made. Sertillanges distinguished between notes for future reference, and those for immediate use, and this distinction is something I'll delve into more. Notes for immediate use seem to me to be more likely to benefit from a top-down approach.

Having this further development makes the bottom up content much longer, so I prefer do take a separate note.

A second note with the top-down idea is in the works.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights. They've really helped sharpen my ideas!

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I will try to remember this. I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will Thank you for the shoutout, which I heard from my apartment in Manhattan. For what it's worth, here is the output of the Zettel Critique Assistant, version 2024.05.04.10. Take it with all the salt in Utah.

Critique of "Organic Development of Notes"

ID and Title

• Issue: The title does not clearly reflect the main idea of the Zettel.
    • Recommendation: Revise the title to something more focused, such as "Organic Note-Taking Methods."

Main Body

Content Focus

• Issue: The main body combines general ideas about note-taking with specific references from The Intellectual Life. This mix dilutes the focus.
    • Recommendation: Separate the general ideas from the specifics of Sertillanges' approach. Create two Zettels if necessary: one for general note-taking strategies and one focused on Sertillanges' methods.

Structure and Clarity

• Issue: The structure is not well-defined, making it hard to follow the progression of ideas.
    • Recommendation: Organize the content into clear sections with headers. For example:
      1. Introduction to Organic Note-Taking
      2. Principles and Key Ideas
      3. Observations from The Intellectual Life
      4. Compounding/Synthesis

Annotations and References

• Issue: References to the book are included but not clearly distinguished from your own ideas.
    • Recommendation: Use Pandoc citations for book references and clearly separate them from your commentary. For example:
      • "Sertillanges emphasizes the importance of an organic approach to note-taking, stating that 'a plan will spring from the materials, not the materials from the plan' [@Sertillanges1987, p. 192]."

SEE ALSO Section

Title-Only WikiLinks

• Issue: The SEE ALSO section contains a mix of annotated and title-only WikiLinks.
    • Recommendation: Ensure all WikiLinks in the SEE ALSO section are title-only WikiLinks. For example:
      • Tips for capturing ideas in notes.
      • Interrogating Ideas for Deeper Insights [[202407061608]]

References

Formatting and Clarity

• Issue: The references section is somewhat repetitive and not clearly formatted.
    • Recommendation: Consolidate and format the references clearly. For example:
      ```

References

• Sertillanges, A. G., & Ryan, Mary. The Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods. The Catholic University of America Press, 1987.
    • Antonin Sertillanges - Wikipedia
      ```

Summary of Actions

1. Title Revision: Change the title to better reflect the Zettel's focus.
    2. Content Separation: Split the content into general note-taking ideas and specifics from The Intellectual Life.
    3. Structure Improvement: Organize the main body into clear sections with headers.
    4. Reference Formatting: Use Pandoc citations for book references and format the references section clearly.
    5. SEE ALSO Section: Ensure all WikiLinks are title-only.

These adjustments will enhance clarity, maintain focus, and improve the Zettel's adherence to Zettelkasten principles.

GitHub. Erdős #2. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Alter ego (1st-order): Erel Dogg. Alter egos of Erel Dogg (2nd-order): Distracteur des Zettel, HueLED PacArt Lovecraft. I have no direct control over the 2nd-order alter egos. CC BY-SA 4.0.

• @ZettelDistraction, I hope my shout-out didn't startle you too badly. Below is the output from the Zettel Assistant last week. My earlier run is much more positive. Some of the differences between the two runs are to be expected and welcomed.

From your run.
    1. This note is an atomization of a much bigger (5000 word) note on my observations from Sertillanges' methods in The Intellectual Life. this note could be atomized further, but I wonder about diminishing returns.
    2. I use Pandoc cite keys when writing for university, but otherwise, I try to use the MLA cite guides directly in my notes. This is mainly for practice, and I find it 'prettier.' I might reconsider.
    3. I like annotating my links. I ignore the nagging from the Zettel Assistant about my SEE ALSO links.

ZCA version 2024.05.04.10

Critique of "Organic Development of Notes"

Strengths

1. Clear Main Idea: The Zettel effectively explores the concept of organic note-taking and its benefits, particularly in the context of intellectual work.
    2. Relevant Quotes: The inclusion of quotes from The Intellectual Life by Sertillanges provides authoritative support for the ideas presented.
    3. Well-Organized Sections: The division into Principles/Questions, Key Ideas/Positions, Observations/Notes, and Compounding/Synthesis sections aids readability and logical flow.
    4. Useful SEE ALSO Section: The SEE ALSO section contains relevant title-only WikiLinks that guide further exploration within the Zettelkasten.

Areas for Improvement

1. ID and Title:

• Ensure the UUID format is correct. The UUID currently does not follow the standard format (e.g., [[202407061920]] should be [[2024.07.06.1920]]).
    2. Main Body:

• Focus on a Single Idea: The Zettel occasionally diverges from its primary focus on the organic development of notes to discuss broader topics like project management and intellectual joy. Streamline the content to maintain a sharper focus.
      • Annotations for WikiLinks: Provide annotations for the WikiLinks in the main body to clarify their relevance. For example, explain how "Interrogating Ideas for Deeper Insights" relates to organic note-taking.
    3. SEE ALSO Section:

• Ensure Relevance: Although the current links are generally relevant, ensure they all contribute to a broader understanding of organic note-taking or are thematically connected.
    4. References:

• Pandoc Citations: The reference to The Intellectual Life should use Pandoc citation format, e.g., [@Sertillanges1987].
      • Improve Clarity: The reference to Antonin Sertillanges's Wikipedia page could be better integrated into the text or moved to the main body for context.

Specific Suggestions

1. Maintain Focus:

• Adjust the content to ensure it stays closely aligned with the main idea. For example:
        • Remove or condense sections that drift into project management strategies, focusing instead on how organic note-taking specifically impacts intellectual work.
    2. Annotate WikiLinks:

• For instance:
        • Interrogating Ideas for Deeper Insights [[202407061608]]: Discusses how notes can provoke deeper intellectual exploration.
        • The Intellectual Life [[202402140719]]: Examines Sertillanges's broader philosophy on the intellectual journey.
    3. Reference Formatting:

• Ensure all references are in Pandoc citation format for consistency:
        • [@Sertillanges1987]

Enhanced Main Body Example

## Key Ideas/Positions
       - A flexible, inspiration-driven approach to note-taking allows for a more organic development of ideas and plans. This method contrasts with rigid, pre-planned note-taking strategies and encourages intellectual freedom and joy in discovery.

## Observations/Notes
    - Notes function as an external memory, a concept Montaigne referred to as a "paper memory" (186). Sertillanges distinguishes between two types of notes:
      1. Notes for future use, which synthesize knowledge with potential long-term application.
      2. Notes for immediate use, which gather material for specific, current projects (187).

- Directed note-taking involves reading and developing notes purposefully, akin to using a sieve to capture relevant information (191).

### Bottom-up Project Research Approach
    - This approach emphasizes flexibility and inspiration over rigid planning. It encourages exploring subjects from multiple angles, akin to gathering ideas like a bee collects pollen. The method values moments of inspiration and allows for a non-linear progression of work (192).

### Compounding/Synthesis
    - The bottom-up approach is appealing due to the freedom and joy it offers, leading to superior intellectual outcomes by allowing organic development of ideas.

Final Thoughts

This Zettel offers a valuable exploration of organic note-taking. By maintaining a sharp focus on the main topic and ensuring all elements are clearly annotated and relevant, it will serve as a more precise and effective reference for future intellectual work.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com