Zettelkasten Forum

Index Card Cases, Wallets, Covers, Pouches, etc.

For my own index card practice and potentially for that of others who are interested or searching, I recently compiled a list of analog accessories out of a bunch of cards in my own zettelkasten. I'm sure I'm missing lots of interesting pieces, so I'm curious what others may be using that I haven't come across? For those who use index cards, what are you carrying when you're out and about?

website | digital slipbox πŸ—ƒοΈπŸ–‹οΈ

No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them. β€”Umberto Eco

Comments

• That's a huge collection! A lot of very nice products you listed there.

I find e.g. the Kaitiaki wallet to be a curious invention. An index card holder and wallet, sure, but turning it into a stand, like a tablet case, that's weird! -- I never used index cards in a way to make sense of propping up the card display like this, but someone seems to find use in this, and that took me by surprise :)

(I'm recycling some of the product tips for my list of Urban Sketching/painting equipment holding. Things that attach to sketchbook covers and that can hold a palette and water brushes are cute.)

Author at Zettelkasten.de β€’ https://christiantietze.de/

• Your collection of card carriers is pretty big. My card carrier of choice was not included. Here's mine. Fan&Ran Genuine Leather Journal Cover for Field Notes Notebooks, Moleskine Cahier Journal Pocket 3.5 x 5.5 Inches, Bourbon Brown

It allows me to carry 8-10 3X5 cards. It has a Field Notebook in it for on-the-go intermittent journaling. It fits in my back pocket, It is simple and unobtrusive. It doesn't make me look like too much of a geek.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @ctietze If you're into urban sketching, have you come across the idea of a camera lucida? There's a recent company that's brought several versions back into production for artists and sketchers: https://neolucida.com/.

No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them. β€”Umberto Eco

• I have the NeoLucida and the NeoLucida XL sitting in a drawer. But you gave me the idea (if it rises to that level) to take out the NeoLucida XL and sketch some basic geometric shapes in perspective. A few hundred each: a cone, a prism, a pyramid, a cube, a parallelepiped, a sphere, a cylinder. The only shape missing from my collection is a ribbon.

GitHub. ErdΕ‘s #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• @ZettelDistraction, just in time for this interesting new result relating to the Moebius strip https://arxiv.org/pdf/2308.12641.pdf

• Nice compiliation.

Levenger's pocket briefcase is pricey but very durable. I've had mine since probably 2010 and can't tell it's any more than a week old. Oxford makes a less expensive version called the At-Hand Note Card Case.

My EDC index card gizmo is a Levenger Jotlet, which is a 3x5 top-hinge Circa notebook. Of course, such things can be home grown with three Circa-equivalent discs, a punch, and stiff plastic.

Anything with Lochby on it is nice, too.

• @chrisaldrich said:
    @ZettelDistraction, just in time for this interesting new result relating to the Moebius strip https://arxiv.org/pdf/2308.12641.pdf

Very nice!

GitHub. ErdΕ‘s #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• Found a link to John Locke's methods for commonplace books in your blog, @chrisaldrich . Fascinating.