Zettelkasten Forum

Share with us what is happening in your ZK this week. October 9, 2023

edited October 2023 in Your Current Projects

Swimming with Ideas
Another installment of the What Are You Working On? thread. Add to this thread by telling us what is happening in and around your ZK journey. Join the community and enlighten us about your knowledge path trajectory. I do this for selfish reasons. It helps me clarify my goals and visualize my thinking. And sometimes, a conversation sparks an idea worth exploring.

Ideas I'm thinking about:

• Atmospheric Chemical Kinetics
  • OpenAI's ChatGPT as writing tutor
  • Should I quit? It would free me to switch to a more worthy, interesting opportunity. Something more in line with my goals.
  • Do I know what it means to write for the benefit of others?
  • Interstitial Journaling
  • The Indian Monk Tilopa's Six Nails and how they relate to mindfulness.
  • I'm thinking about the tension between what is easy, fun, and comfortable and what adds value to my life.
  • How do I physically review my ZK notes and journal entries? How do I make sense of this process? How do I connect with what is valuable in this process?
  • The ephemerality of thought.
  • Self-mentoring.

Things I'm reading:

• Lispector, Clarice and Costa, Margaret Jull and Patterson, Robin and Valente, Paulo Gurgel. Too much of life: the complete crônicas. 2022.
  • Emerson, Hannah and Martin, Chris and Nisinzweig, Aviv. The kissing of kissing: poems. 2022.
  • Davis, Lydia. Essays one. 2020.
  • Chabon, Michael. The Yiddish Policemen's Union. 2008.

Music I'm listening to:

★★★★★

The "My rolling ten-day zettel production" is produced by a script for attachment to my daily journaling template. I do my journaling in Bear to keep personal journaling separate from my knowledge work.

Let me know if you would like to discuss any of these notes.

My ten day zettel production

Post edited by Will on

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited October 2023
    • Computer experiment evidence for a conjecture in combinatorial hypermatrix theory is holding up.
    • I'm increasingly relying on ChatGPT as a programming assistant for several projects, including the previous project. I also use ChatGPT to check my interpretation of literature and draft letters I do not intend to send. Drafting unsent letters is a time-honored practice.
    • An update to the Zettel template on GitHub. The Zettel Template now includes a YAML header for compatibility with Zettlr and Obsidian. Zettlr can import the YAML header as a snippet with the Shift-: command. Two versions of the template are available: a simplified template for those new to the ZK method and a more detailed template for more experienced ZK users. I should add a disclaimer that free templates and an example software configuration are no substitute for instruction, but I lack the time and interest to offer any.
    • Still forgetting to read, etc., with pen and paper. I do more in my head than I ought to.
    • I might revive the ZK checklist. It's ancient wisdom to record a bibliography reference the moment you first touch a source.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• Things I'm Reading

• Asseburg, Muriel and Jan Busse. Der Nahostkonflikt: Geschichten, Positionen, Perspektiven. Kindle. 2016. Reprint, München: C.H. Beck, 2023.
    • Assmann, Jan. Egipto: Historia de un sentido. Translated by Joaquín Chamorro Mielke. 1st ed. 1996. Reprint, Madrid: Abda Editores, 2005.
    • Carr, Edward Hallet. What Is History? The George Macaulay Trevelyan Lectures Delivered in the University of Cambridge, January-March 1961. 2nd ed. 1961. Reprint, London: Penguin Books, 1990.
    • Childe, Vere Gordon. Man Makes Himself. 1st ed. London: Watts & Co, 1936.
    • Sanmartín, Joaquín and José Miguel Serrano. Historia Antigua Del Próximo Oriente: Mesopotamia y Egipto. 1st ed. Madrid: Ediciones Akal, 1998.

Most of my current reading is for university. However, the unfortunate events in Israel/Palestine made me read a little bit about the background.

Things I'm Thinking about

• Unification process of Ancient Egypt
    • Relation between nationalism and history
    • Revolutionary processes in different stages of mankind

"Denken ohne Geländer"
    Hannah Arendt