Ideas we're grappling with - August 19, 2023
Swimming with Ideas
Another installment of the What Are You Working On? thread.
Add to this thread by telling us what is happening in and around your ZK journey. Join the community and enlighten us about your knowledge path trajectory. I do this for selfish reasons. It helps me clarify my goals and visualize my thinking. And sometimes, a conversation sparks an idea worth exploring.
Things I'm reading:
- Wolf, Maryanne. Proust and the squid: the story and science of the reading brain. 2010.
- Benedict, Marie, and Murray, Victoria Christopher. The Personal Librarian. 2021.
- Donald, Merlin. A mind so rare: the evolution of human consciousness. 2002.
- Illich, Ivan. In the vineyard of the text: a commentary to Hugh's Didascalicon. 1993.
- Vocabulary Builder, which blends Keyboard Maestro and OpenAI's ChatGPT4
Things I'm writing about:
- Cognitive Extension
- Cognitive Expression - Conversation
- Cognitive Endurance
Ideas I'm thinking about:
- I'm exploring using my structure notes as a thinking canvas.
- How the effectiveness of a targeted review practice intersects with active cognition.
- I think that THE key to zettelkasting is every zettel is a proxy for an idea, and the only thing that matters is zettel relatedness to other zettel. Discovery of the scaffolding of zettel relatedness is something that grows organically but can be nurtured as a gardener cares for her flowers, fruits, and veggies. Different strategies will tickle out the relatedness.
- How to discover which zettel has the most pixie dust of magic at the moment. I'm getting further on my quest to weigh each zettel by measuring their use and connectivity.
The "My rolling ten-day zettel production" is produced by a script for attachment to my daily journaling template. I do my journaling in Bear to keep personal journaling separate from my knowledge work.
My rolling ten-day zettel production
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!