What physical steps do you take when linking existing Zettels to a new one?
It takes me about 20-30 minutes to create 1 Zettel sometimes because my linking process often involves sifting through my Slipbox to find the right note to place my note behind. As my Slipbox grows, it becomes cumbersome to keep this up.
I see plenty of posts share abstract advice for linking Zettels together and implementing Folgezettel.
- Each link should create knowledge
- Create a new Zettel when you're starting to branch into a second idea
- "Find" Zettels that match your topic (but don't you dare use the Search function to do it!)
- You need Folgezettel / you don't need Folgezettel (I personally like the structure, so I've chosen to keep it)
What I'd like to learn from experienced users is this: What are the PHYSICAL steps you take when you've completed a Zettel and you're linking it to your other Zettels?
By physical steps, I mean what you actually do, GTD-style Next Actions.
For instance, here's my physical action steps.
- Search my index for the topic of interest
- Look within that cluster to find a Zettel that's either a source of that idea or similar to that idea.
- Number the new Zettel after the one I chose from #2.
- Use the Obsidian search function for a few keywords within my Zettel to find relevant links, adding context phrases as I do so.
But the problem is that as my Slipbox grows, I'll slowly forget the Zettel clusters and may make less-than-ideal connections. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!