Zettelkasten Forum

Use this thread to share with the community what you did last week developing your ZK. [[20220821]]

I have first-day butterflies in my stomach. My class starts Tuesday. A literature review of modern western travel literature taught by Dr. Scott Slovic, I think this is the last class he'll be teaching before he takes a research position with his dad at The Arithmetic of Compassion and Decision Research..

I'm currently reading.
1. Alta California by Nick Neely
2. Henry David Thoreau's Walden
3. Carl Thompson's Travel Writing

Here are a few of the titles and one-sentence summaries of zettel I created last week.

• Silence as ear cleaning [20220820]
  • Object Level and Meta Level Abstraction Distinction [20220819]
    - Learning something from nature is where meta-level skills are developed.

• Traveling the Object to Meta Levels of Abstraction
    - Traversing the spectrum of abstractions when building knowledge.

• The Conclusion of Walden Pond [20220818]
    - This chapter seems preachy—one sermon after another lost on my modern ears. I must be a heathen.

• ENGL463 Class Notes and Reading Assignments [20220818]

• Computer Science as an Art [20220816]
    - by Donald E. Knuth

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• I am slowly working through Matthew Walker's superb book "Why We Sleep". It is chock full of fascinating facts about sleeping - a topic Walker and his grad students have been researching for decades. This will spin off a multitude of zettels with connections all over the map.

• I would recommend complementing your reading of "Why we Sleep" with https://guzey.com/books/why-we-sleep/

It seems Walker consistently lies and misrepresents the data. There is even one particularly egregious example where he alters a graph to support his point.

• @Will, all the best to you and your butterflies! #solidarity

I'm reading various articles on management, spirituality, and religion in support of a position paper I'm writing for a conference in Vienna in two weeks. Zettels to be had from that, for sure.

I'm also re-reading "Heuristic Inquiry" by Nevine Sultan in preparation for my dissertation critique course this semester. I've been able to make an appointment with Sultan for tomorrow, and I want to arrive prepared. Will revisit my existing Zettels in preparation.

I'm also crafting my literature review spreadsheet for my other course this semester - a literature review of creativity and spirituality as connected or interrelated constructs. Forcing myself to get my organization set up before diving into the reading. Because there will be a lot of reading! ;^)