Zettelkasten Forum

Share your ZK plans for 10 July - 16 July

edited July 2022 in Your Current Projects

What are your plans for zettelkasting this week?
Mine include processing ideas from The Tao of Travel by Paul Theroux, The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton, and The Best American Travel Writing: 2021 by Jason Wilson and Padma Lakshmi. TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL. And I'm a stay-at-home introvert.! Lots of refactoring of my notes in on travel in the coming week. I am doing this in preparation for uni class Geographies of Non-Fiction ENGL 463, which starts next month.
What are yours?

Titles of zettel I've been working on lately.

• Longing for staying and going 202207091536
  • On Anticipating Adventure Travel 202207080744
  • The troubles of travel 202207080752
  • A Love Affair with Travel 202207091656
  • Travel for solitude 202207091521
  • B-The Art Of Travel 202207021957
  • B-The Tao of Travel 202207091440
  • B-The Best American Travel Writing: 2021 202207081949
  • Basal ganglia's dependence on dopamine 202207071958
  • Parkinson's Disease Symptoms 202207071944
  • Taking knowledge work seriously 202207030716
  • The 100-Hour Asset 202207031547
Post edited by Will on

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited July 2022

Previous week

Last week I've completed a large-ish freelance project. Shipping this week. That was fun and I learned a lot of new stuff and met interesting programmers along the way.

Over the weekend, I also prepared an update to my app TableFlip: v1.4.0 is hitting App Stores world-wide by now. It helps with CSV files from various sources, guessing the intended delimiter, because not all comma-separated value (CSV) files use, well, the comma.

New notes from last week:

• 202207081530 Business model for a tech debt service
    • 202207081524 § Fallacies of Distributed Computing
    • 202207060827 Debouncing Task view modifier in SwiftUI
    • 202207060823 Cancel Task via ID in SwiftUI
    • 202207041909 AppStorage extension for strongly typed keys

Two of these notes are about SwiftUI, which is a new-ish framework by Apple to create graphical apps on all platforms. It's super interesting to work with and if you know what you need, it can accelerate development a lot. I ponder changing the UI from older apps to use SwiftUI in the future -- both to "sharpen my saw" (Covey) and to reduce maintenance cost. Sadly, this only works by bumping the required macOS version to Big Sur, Monterey, or the upcoming Ventura -- depending on the SwiftUI version I require.

Speaking of planned obsolescence from Apple: the upcoming developer tools (Xcode version 14) will not be able to build Mac apps for macOS 10.12 or older. I happily support macOS 10.10 in some apps. It's wild I would eventually need to drop support for old versions of macOS because the developer tools stop supporting that. That's a new thing, and it's not something I like.

This week

• Work-work, also
    • continue integrating scripting capabilities into The Archive.
    • ZK blog posts (neglected editing these, sorry everyone!).
    • Onboarding an "intern" to light web development. Could maybe help out with web site maintenance in the future.
    Post edited by ctietze on

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @Will Thanks for your persistence in keeping this weekly thread going - I think it is of value, even if I'm not that regular of a contributor. Always nice to hear what others are doing.

I think my pace of growing my ZK is a bit slow compared to others, which fits other things going on in my life. I probably read the forum more regularly than I write zettels. However, progress is still made. This week, I'm finishing off some historical information on my paternal grandparents, which I'm doing through a series of zettels.

• edited July 2022

@Will, I want to second what GeoEng51 said.

@ctietze

202207081530 Business model for a tech debt service

This might be interesting to you.

• @emps "Kill it with fire" sounds like a promising title :) Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/