Zettelkasten Forum

Derek Sivers' book notes

Derek Sivers has some interesting comments about his (public) book notes, why and how he takes them and what he uses them for. He also seems to be in the process of reinventing the Zettelkasten.

Comments

• thank you for sharing this. I am especially surprised that Derek Sivers received positive feedback from the authors of the books he is taking notes from. I am also sometimes hesitant in sharing the ideas that i read in a book. I would think that authors get mad.

Like he wrote there are many who simply read his summaries from the notes he published instead of reading the actual book. On the other hand, as he suggests it is perhaps his public book notes that make these authors sell more.

Someone told me once that, to sell a book, you don't place just any idea in the preview / free sample. You put there your best idea. This is your selling point and what makes people actually going to purchase your book. Perhaps there is some truth to it? Giving & taking is very difficult to understand once there is no price tag on it.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• I was surprised to get a "cool, thank you, hope you enjoy the book" from Davin Epstein when I made the video series. I expected authors to be busier :)

@zk_1000 said:
    Someone told me once that, to sell a book, you don't place just any idea in the preview / free sample. You put there your best idea. This is your selling point and what makes people actually going to purchase your book. Perhaps there is some truth to it? Giving & taking is very difficult to understand once there is no price tag on it.

This is repeated as "give them the fish" in Chris Guileebeau's book "The $100 Startup", too, if someone's interested.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @Eurobubba said:
    Derek Sivers has some interesting comments about his (public) book notes, why and how he takes them and what he uses them for. He also seems to be in the process of reinventing the Zettelkasten.

Wow, reinventing the Zettelkasten. Sounds awesome. I'm very curious! Do you have an update?