Zettelkasten Forum

A few days in now!

I have been at the Zettel method for a few days. Things are starting to come together and slowly but surely I am making progress, studying, reading and rereading. I am having an understanding of the notes I’ve taken that never before happened in my life, now 59.

I am using Craft, a software that I already have and had been using for a while. It shows associations to tags and links in a hierarchical method bringing everything together.

I am testing The Archive with the 60 day trial in association with 1Writer. The reason for 1 Writer, I do nearly everything on the phone. Getting those 2 on the same folder was easy and they seem to work good together.

My question for you all, how do you view like documents, or tags, or backlinks together in The Archive? I can get it to populate all the notes in the files panel that are associated with a tag, link, or note reference ID number. I cannot figure out how to view the contents of those notes together though? In the above mentioned app, Craft, it shows the content of all the associated links.

I know I read several times that you create a structure note placing all the links, tags, titles and references in a note page. I just thought you would also be able to see more than just the title from current linking notes.

Thx,
Be patient,
I am still in the baby stages.

Comments

• @Harvison If you click on a tag in The Archive, you see a list of notes with those tags in the left panel (the note list). As far as I know, there is no "combined" view of all of these notes at once, if that is what you are looking for. Rather, you click on any one of these notes and see its contents in the right-hand panel.

• Thank you @GeoEng51. I appreciate the information. I am able to do that without a problem. I wasn't sure if there was any way to view content of them all, other than one at a time...and now I have my answer. Have a good day!

• @Harvison Thanks for mentioning Craft - I hadn't heard about that app. It looks like another well-designed app for the Apple system. Will give it a test run :smile:

• @GeoEng51 said:
    @Harvison Thanks for mentioning Craft - I hadn't heard about that app. It looks like another well-designed app for the Apple system. Will give it a test run :smile:

It is a very clean well functioning, fast native Mac Os and iOS app. The only drawback, it is only available on the Apple platform. The tagging and backlinks are setup a little different than one you may be used to, with way more to come. For a newly released app it is quite polished. The developers, like here, really care and have a commitment to the app. The users and developers communicate on Slack.

I do most of my Journaling and final writing in there. It is worth a look see @GeoEng51 .

Best of luck,
    Dan

• @Harvison I've downloaded and started to look at it. There seems to be a drawback on how files are stored. I understand the main storage is on-line with some kind of backup on your computer. I haven't figured out where that is yet or what form the files take. I see there are export options, but that is clunky; it's much simpler to just store your data in easily accessible, plain text files, on your own computer.

I also need to understand the differences between the free and paid (subscription) versions, particularly when it comes to file format and storage options.

Anyway, I've barely looked at the app, but from what I've seen so far, it seems quite capable and well-designed.

• They have there own file format and you can store on your device. You can export in plain text and MD. The difference berween paid and purchase, you have 10,000 blocks of information you are allowed on the free and unlimited on the paid with a cap of 10 gig of data. Don't quote me on the details. That is off memory. When you get old memory isn't as good as it used to be. 😊

The app isn't 's suited for everyone, but I like the clean interface.

• edited February 2021

@GeoEng51 said:
    @Harvison I've downloaded and started to look at it. There seems to be a drawback on how files are stored. I understand the main storage is on-line with some kind of backup on your computer. I haven't figured out where that is yet or what form the files take.

I think the app started with storage on AWS, then allowed for iCloud. File structure is JSON, currently. Folks have requested Markdown/text now that they offer other storage options.

Post edited by Daveb08 on