Zettelkasten Forum

ZK for dummies

I need a step by step guide... for dummies perhaps!

for instance why your notes appear like that

201705110956 History of the Method

and my note like that?

new note

should I put some markdown sign writing it?

Comments

• Yes, this can be confusing. How to create a note with a UID and title.
    I don't think this is intuitive.

Here are 2 methods. They require some muscle memory to develop proficiency.

1. Press the key combination ⌘N and a new note will be created with a UID and no title. Right-click on title and Rename adding a - and then a title.
    2. This method is a little easier. With the Omni Bar in focus, press the key combination ⌘U and a UID will be placed on the Omnibar (do not hit enter yet!) add " - Title" behind UID and then hit enter.

I use a Keyboard Maestro macro with a template for new notes and have never developed the muscle memory for doing this. May use Alfred.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• thanks!
    is the same for adding [[ ]] ie clickable links?
    I thought there was embedded in TA more automation...

• your dog is a Weim?

• @amelchi said:
    thanks!
    is the same for adding [[ ]] ie clickable links?
    I thought there was embedded in TA more automation...

No, clickable links have to have a target. I guess you could link to an empty target. I've heard of some use cases for this.

One way to make clickable links to established notes is to select a note from the note list and use the key combination ⌥⌘C to "Copy Link to Note". Then paste the link where appropreate, This is a menu option under Edit and you can select this option by Right Clicking on the note in the note list.

The amount of enbedded automation in The Archive is its blessing and its curse. It does make the learning curve a little steeper.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @amelchi said:
    your dog is a Weim?

No. Zivon is Chocolate Lab. He's pretty smart too.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited November 2020

@Will's dog: greetings from me :)
    I love this photo <3<3<3. @Zivon needs an account here, too :D

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915