Zettelkasten Forum

New shortcuts conflict with wildly adopted ones

Just installed v 1.5.7

The new features "Open links at selection" and "Jump to next link" are awesome!
But I'd like to question the choice of their shortcuts.

Up to v 1.5.6...
^L used to center the cursor mid-height in the screen (this may be inherited from Emacs?)
^Tab used to go to next tab (like most browsers these days, even Finder!).

Now, to provide an element of solution...
What about cmd-o to open links?
and ^j to jump to next?

All this, of course, is wide open for discussion.

Comments

• edited October 2020

Thanks for pointing this out @maclm! I must've rebound (edit: was Ctrl-T before) ⌃Tab to something else. But I can confirm that the standard behavior is to switch tabs. Hmmm!

My favorite shortcut to jump between links would of course be ⌃C ⌃N or something like that ;)

⌘O I'd like to reserve for opening files. This could mean importing in the end, but the collective muscle memory would say that this shortcut is already taken. I found the discovery of ⌃O to "open line" (insert newline after the cursor) to be a surprise. That'd have been my personal favorite.

In general, the ⌘⌃ "layer" of shortcuts is much less densely populated than and alone. It also requires a bit of finder gymnastics. But this might be preferable to overriding existing system default shortcuts!

A problem with ⌘⌃L for example to open the link-at-point is that you cannot additionally press the ⌘ key anymore to open the link in a new tab (similar to ⌘-clicking on links), because it's already part of the standard shortcut :) Which leaves us with adding ⇧ or ⌥ ... meh. (E.g. ⌘⌃O to open link at point, and ⌘⌃⇧O to open in new tab)

⌃J indeed appears to not be taken by anything. ⌃⇧J to jump backwards also works. That's good.

Post edited by ctietze on

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    I must've rebound ⌃T to something else. But I can confirm that the standard behavior is to switch tabs. Hmmm!

Well, on my system, switching tabs is definitely ^TAB.
    ^T on the other hand is mapped to swap the two characters on each side of the caret (which sounded stupid at first, but I use this multiple times a day now... crazy useful!).

@ctietze said:
     collective muscle memory

1. I like that a lot :wink:
    2. You're right, ⌘O shouldn't be repurposed.

@ctietze said:
    you cannot additionally press the ⌘ key anymore to open the link in a new tab

That would be a great lost, you're right.

For opening links, ^C is a good idea.
    Maybe more than for jumping, as ^⇧C inserts©...

In fact, among L I N K, only I is available.

^G (think of "Go") seems available and could fit too.

For jumping, be aware that ^N moves the cursor to the next line though. (conversely, ^P moves to previous.)

^J seems to me to be a better fit.

• (Sorry, ⌃T was a typo, I meant ⌃Tab and rectified the mistake!)

You have to pry my emacs line movement shortcuts from my cold, dead hands, so ⌃N/⌃P are out :)

Will experiment with your suggestions and run them through Mr icannotholdthatmanykeys @Sascha

• We dropped the -based shortcuts in favor of Cmd-based shortcuts, so the app defaults are now as of v1.5.8:

• ⌘⌃J/⌘⌃⌥J to jump
    • ⌘⌃⮐/⌘⌃⌥⮐ to activate/open

We figured that there'll be other ways one might want to trigger a general-purpose "execute" command (like C-c C-c in org) and that the return key is probably easier to wrap your head around for "regular" users.

• I wish there was a "like" or "thumbs-up" button on this forum :wink:
    Anyway, thanks for your openness into "fixing" this!