Zettelkasten Forum

how can I experiment with my workflow?

edited August 2020 in Software & Gadgets

How can I experiment with new ways using my ZK? As my ZK grows in size it is going to be increasingly difficult to make any changes to the system.

For example, when changing the filename of my ZT from <uid> <title> into <uid>,<fid> <title>, where

• uid: is an identifier in the form of YYYYMMDDMM
  • title: the header of the Zettel
  • fid: Folgezettel index

this is only a simple example. Some changes can be rather elaborate to apply on the entire box.

When you "upgrade" your life system do you

A. abandon your old slip-box
B. discontinue the old system
C. translate the entire system

I think option B is the best approach. Then I can translate the system on demand. This assumes a 100% healthy system can be achieved in reasonable time.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

Comments

• A mix of Option B and Option C is the approach with which can be used once some basic terminal wizardry is learned and applied. No need to limit yourself.

In my case, I've made the investment in learning bash scripting and Keyboard Maestro. There are some tools for basic and some not so basic global changing. MassReplaceIt is my tool of choice. There are others. This investment pays off in other areas of my digital life.

Just don't worry about any of this. Continue to forge on and when an old note pops up as an answer to a question, just smile and acknowledge how far you've come. Then make changes if appropriate.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• B + boy-scout-rule to improve stuff when I stumble upon it. I still have Zettel with Ids like 2020-08-18_2105 and outdated header formats, for example.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/