Zettelkasten Forum

Evolutionary Biologist from the United States

Hello everyone,

I am an evolutionary biologist. I study the evolution of sex. After A LOT of years in school, I am just now learning this method. It seems so intuitive to the way my brain "sees" information, but I am still working on the details.

I would love to hear from other scientists about how you process the articles you read. Do you use Mendeley and how do you incorporate your article library with your Zettelkasten.

Super glad to be here!

Comments

• @Jenn Hi - I am new to Zettelkasten as well - a semi-retired engineer living in Vancouver, Canada. I've used Zotero for a number of years to gather information on technical papers, either those in which I'm interested or those of which I am an author or co-author.

I use TA as the primary app for organizing my Zettelkasten and iA Writer for composing notes on an iPhone and iPad.

Recently I came across another app called Zettlr (you can google that name), which bills itself as a markdown editor for the 21st century. It also works with plain text or markdown files in a directory, so you can actually load your Zettelkasten into Zettlr as well. It has some interesting features. The main reason I mention it is that it does have the ability to cite articles and can connect to a Zotero database. So, if you need that capability, you might check both of those out.

Zotero lets you maintain a personal profile page with a list of published papers. If interested, you can check mine out at https://www.zotero.org/geoeng51

• @GeoEng51 Thanks for the information. I downloaded Zettlr, and started building from some old notes. Now I have downloaded Obsidian. I am going to check that out before I get into anything too deep. I really like that Obsidian creates a web with your links. I was already trying to do that separately in MindNode. So its great to have these two things combined.

• @Jenn said:
    @GeoEng51 Thanks for the information. I downloaded Zettlr, and started building from some old notes. Now I have downloaded Obsidian. I am going to check that out before I get into anything too deep. I really like that Obsidian creates a web with your links. I was already trying to do that separately in MindNode. So its great to have these two things combined.

Hi Jenn - I'm trying to check Obsidian out as well. I haven't really figured out how useful it is, but I think, like a lot of note programs (TA, Zettlr, IA Writer), you can look at the same directory of plain text files. I tend to use TA and IA Writer for actual writing, and then Zettlr and Osidian if I want a different perspective on those files.