Zettelkasten Forum

Visualize your Zettelkasten, see stats and unconnected Zettel

Hi everybody 👋

I scratched my own itch and wrote a program that can visualize a Zettelkasten, print stats, and show orphaned Zettel. See the GIF below for a short demo:

Vizel Demo

You can install it with pip install vizel. A more in-depth documentation and the source-code are on GitHub.

I personally use the stats command every day to see how my Zettelkasten evolves over time.

The graph-pdf command is useful to see clusters of Zettel and unconnected notes.

The unconnected command prints out Zettel who are orphaned, and I try to periodically go through that list and link them up.

Related threads I found upon a cursory search:

I hope some of you find it useful, and I'm happy to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• This is truly great work, I'll share this on the interwebs wherever I can :)

(To find this thread later, lemme add a tag: #script )

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    This is truly great work, I'll share this on the interwebs wherever I can :)

(To find this thread later, lemme add a tag: #script )

Thank you, Christian, for the kind words! I truly enjoy using The Archive, so I'm happy I can give something back.

• @BasilPH this is appealing and the pip install went easy peasy. On initial running, I got a face full of the traceback. Any ideas what my problem is? Probably user error. Maybe there is a problem with my path or the version of Python I'm running?
    python3 --version Python 3.7.4

Wills-Laptop:~ will$ vizel stats /Users/will/Dropbox/zettelkasten/
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/vizel", line 8, in <module>
        sys.exit(main())
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 829, in __call__
        return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 782, in main
        rv = self.invoke(ctx)
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1259, in invoke
        return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1066, in invoke
        return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 610, in invoke
        return callback(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vizel/cli.py", line 127, in stats
        digraph = _get_digraph(directory)
      File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vizel/cli.py", line 55, in _get_digraph
        short_des = zettel_id + '\n' + zettel_name.replace('_', ' ').replace('.md', '').replace('.txt', '')[13:63]
    TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'

Will Simpson
    I'm a Zettelnant.
    Research: Rationalism, Zen, Non-fiction Creative Writing
    kestrelcreek.com

• Hi @Will , thank you for giving it a try, and sorry for the crash. Your Python version should be fine.

I suspect that one of your files has an invalid ID. In any case, it shouldn't just crash though. I have made the code more robust, it now skips a Zettel if it can't handle the ID.

Please run pip install --upgrade vizel and try again. It should tell you which Zettel causes trouble.

• Thank you @BasilPH - This is really a fine and useful program.

• @BasilPH said:
    You can install it with pip install vizel. A more in-depth documentation and the source-code are on GitHub.

I had to use pip3 install vizel for this to work on my machine.

THANKS for this, the stats, unconnected and graph-pdf commands are super useful!

Ben

• Any plan to make it compatible with note collections that aren't time identifier based? Say if someone just has normal titled md files?

• I had to use pip3 install vizel for this to work on my machine

Good point @benhamilton. Is it possible that if you run python --version you get something below 2.7? vizel is compatible with 2.7, and 3.4+.

• @Nick said:
    Any plan to make it compatible with note collections that aren't time identifier based? Say if someone just has normal titled md files?

Thank you for your interest @Nick. I might do that. I'm currently working on also supporting markdown links instead of just the [[ID]] format. And in doing so, I could also support different types of IDs.

You can follow the progress on the markdown links in this GitHub issue.

• @BasilPH said:

I had to use pip3 install vizel for this to work on my machine

Good point @benhamilton. Is it possible that if you run python --version you get something below 2.7? vizel is compatible with 2.7, and 3.4+.

Not sure if this is useful information, but I had to use pip3 install as well. I have both python 2.7.16 and python 3.7.3 on my computer.