Zettelkasten Forum

2nd Edition of the book (German) gets rewritten

I decided to rewrite the once finished manuscript of the 2nd edition of the book. This thread will contain some occasional updates. Comment and ask as you like.

inb4: "What about the translation?"

When the German 2nd edition is finished -- and the course -- I will think about the process of translating.

Update 2019-06-19

The introduction is finished and will need only one step of rewriting when the whole manuscript is finished.

Comments

• Is this thread an accountability-measure? If so, I'll be watching it ;-)

• Not really. More for transparency. But I don't mind if you bug me a little bit.. :smile:

Update 2019-06-22

Introduced a learning concept as the start of the book: The One-File-Archive. To remove the need for specialized software you will learn the concepts with just one plaintext file. Only after the introduction of all major concepts I will go into different software (and analog) solutions.

• LIttle progress update:

The draft for the second edition was finished. Now I am doing restructuring and updating to finish the draft. Then I finally can enter the proof reading stage and soon after that the beta phase.

Additionally, I added a lot of material for what I call in German "Wissensarbeit". Translation will be "knowledge work" but I am afraid there will be some things that will be confused by the translation. An example is better:

Apart from the pure Zettelkasten Method I explain what the core of argumentation means: A mechanism to transfer the assumed truth of a set of statements to a second. This is some (light) philosophy of knowledge stuff. I will translate it to what I call knowledge work (constructing arguments) and later demonstrate how it relates to structures in the Zettelkasten.

I have a minor project that is called "The scientific method for non-scientists" which generates a lot of processes that can be utilised by Zettelkastening. I try to make this overlap productive for the second edition.

• Ack. If only I could read German. I'm almost tempted enough to try scanning the book through Google translate.

• @orderinthecourts The course will be in in English. :smile:

• I read the first edition a few weeks ago when I first got started with the Zettelkasten method and it's really fantastic. Most of the pieces are in the blog or forums but even as somebody who read all of those I still found new insights and it's definitely a much more structured introduction for newbies. Looking forward to the update.

• @cansar said:
    I read the first edition a few weeks ago when I first got started with the Zettelkasten method and it's really fantastic. Most of the pieces are in the blog or forums but even as somebody who read all of those I still found new insights and it's definitely a much more structured introduction for newbies. Looking forward to the update.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Looking forward to reading the new edition!

• Current state: 51500 words. For a comparison: The first edition was 24000 words in total. This book will be dense and comprehensive.

My personal problem with many books that are about knowledge work and related topics is that they are seldom instructional. They are mostly books about the problem or a phenomenon, not about solutions and rational implementation. I try to make sure that I put emphasis on writing something pragmatic and not theoretical.

Now, I am (re-)writing the section about reading. Preliminary outline for this chapter:

• Introduction

• What is reading and how do we learn it?
      • Difference between wander and research
    • Types of knowledge structures to look out for

• What is knowledge in general?
      • Six types of structures
    • Different modes of reading

• Aesthetics
      • Author's intentions
      • Literary theory
    • Intermediate stop - Reading is researching

• Marginalia and active reading
    • Barbell Method of Reading

• Fast reading vs thorough reading
      • Selective Reading
    • Summary

• @sfast this is looking enticing! Where will I be able to buy the book?
    Being Dutch I have basic reading skills having had four years of German language education during high school. Do you reckon with some stretch the book would be readable for me? I can read German newspapers and basic essayistic texts with looking up a word in a dictionary every now and then.

I am a Zettler, ie 'one who zettles'
    research: pragmatism, 4e cognitive science, metaphor | you can't be neutral on a moving train

• It should be available on most plattforms.

Reading shouldn't be a problem. I write very plain and simple. :smile: