Zettelkasten Forum

Translation of the 2nd Edition of the German Book on the Zettelkasten Method

This discussion was created from comments split from: Another content level: the abstract.

I am a Zettler

Comments

• @Sascha What book? :) I keep hearing about a mysterious book in the works for us lowly English readers. How's it coming? I know these are busy times for everyone.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:
    @Sascha What book? :) I keep hearing about a mysterious book in the works for us lowly English readers. How's it coming? I know these are busy times for everyone.

I was refering to the first edition of the German book. :smile:

The second edition is manuskripted but also in German. The course will be my first English material.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:

@Will said:
    @Sascha What book? :) I keep hearing about a mysterious book in the works for us lowly English readers. How's it coming? I know these are busy times for everyone.

I was refering to the first edition of the German book. :smile:

FYI, I've had multiple people who I turned on to ZK ask me if I can somehow score them an English version of The Book. Just saying, it may be worth it to hire a translator...

• Don't want to clutter the other thread.

@mediapathic said:
    FYI, I've had multiple people who I turned on to ZK ask me if I can somehow score them an English version of The Book. Just saying, it may be worth it to hire a translator...

People are bugging me quite regularly. :smile:

There are a few different options at this moment:

1. I self-publish the translation. In this case, I need a person who I am willing to trust.
    2. I contact a publisher. Then I would give up much control (which I don't like) but would remove myself a lot from the process itself.

I would need to rewrite the manuskript (which is finished but needs editing) for both options. This is a few weeks of work. Now, the course is slowly comings its way. @ctietze told me that he will finish his turn of editing this week. Therefore, I let it depend on the results of the course.

I have no intrinsic desire to finish the second edition because the course will be based on the material of the second (very expanded) edition. To me the content and not the medium is the end. Why publish the second edition if the course will get the job done of getting the content out there? I remove the first edition very likely because it was fine back then but know doesn't meet my standards. But now, it is the only way to get access to my iteration on the ZKM.

I am a Zettler

• If you ever do decide to have the book translated, I'd be interested in the job. I've been translating professionally from German to English since 1993 and I've been participating in this forum for several years. As long as you're flexible on the timetable, I'd be willing to do it for a share of sales rather than an up-front payment.

• When it comes to that point you will be high on my list. At this moment your are on top because nobody I know would be as familiar as you with the topic. :smile:

I am a Zettler