Zettelkasten Forum

Do you create question notes?

The title says everything but here goes an example. I was reading [1] and I remembered a note about sustainable behavior change that I wrote sometime ago:

#+TITLE: Sustainable behavior change
#+FILETAGS: #self-control #self-motivation

According to Segar (cite:segar_right_2015), an effective goal for retaining
behavior changes is

- a measurable goal with short feedback loop,
- a realistic goal, and
- based on emotions.

then I though "Is the use of internal cues effective to create sustainable behavior changes?"

I would create a task in my todo list for this question since I don't have time to expand it right. Do you guys create tasks in situations like this or do you create zettles for questions?

[1] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1038/oby.2007.348

Comments

• I do use question notes whenever I come across a point I am not sure about and want to collect my thoughts and possibly contrast them with an author's point of view. However, I don't consider these questions tasks to be done in the future. I usually collect my thoughts right away. I store my tasks for the future in my task management system.

• edited April 13

Do you include these question notes in your Zettelkasten?

• @wanderley said:
    The title says everything but here goes an example. I was reading [1] and I remembered a note about sustainable behavior change that I wrote sometime ago:

#+TITLE: Sustainable behavior change
    #+FILETAGS: #self-control #self-motivation

According to Segar (cite:segar_right_2015), an effective goal for retaining
    behavior changes is

- a measurable goal with short feedback loop,
    - a realistic goal, and
    - based on emotions.

then I though "Is the use of internal cues effective to create sustainable behavior changes?"

I would create a task in my todo list for this question since I don't have time to expand it right. Do you guys create tasks in situations like this or do you create zettles for questions?

[1] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1038/oby.2007.348

I find that they're useful tools for continuing a trail of thought. Instead of having a note as a dead-end and only creating a link when you've read something related to it, you can guide the process by adding questions.

By the way, I'm curious, what have you been reading on behavior change? I'm working on my Persuasive Technology thesis and that might be of big help :smile:

I write about unconventional self-improvement advice at improveism.com

• @wanderley said:
    Do you include these question notes in your Zettelkasten?

Yes, I keep them in my ZK as documentation of my thinking process. Sometimes, when I come across them later, I update my argument within the note, appending to it or even revise it completely in a new note.

• A nice side effect the plain text approach used in The Archive is that plenty of command line tools work flawlessly with your Zettelkasten.

I've just been dropping TODOs in to notes. I either do them when I happen upon a note and have time/motivation to complete the TODO, or I can use ripgrep to search them all if I'm looking to do some tidying up:

$ rg TODO notes

notes/202004101654.md
    57:TODO: Where _did_ it come from?

…

notes/202004101251.md
    5:TODO: Add diagram

…

• edited April 13

I have specified syntactic marks for all "meta" tasks with my note - curly brackets. Anything in curly brackets with > means my todo or what I would like to do with note, what to improve, where to continue (when editing longer text and I need to stop). e.g. {>check citations} or {>find original article and move to my archive} {>continue from here ===>} {>think if this hypotheses has any major flaws} etc. In case of your question I would create similar metanote in the text of the note.

It is easy to find all metanotes by searching for {> as it will never occur in normal text.

• Thanks for all replies and suggestions! I liked the idea of having TODO and {>.

I decided to persist /question notes/ in my archive with title "Question: XXXX?" and linking it with other notes.

• @wanderley: In my case, almost all the zettels in my zettelkasten are question notes (and structure notes). I regularly think about the "opposite" question: whether to include notes on individual facts in my ZK...

• I, too, use questions all the time.
    Whenever I do, I add the tag #2DO-Question to my tags and such a note always comes up whenever I use the saved searches sidebar. I have a dedicated one for Open Questions.
    There is some hidden power in using tags and saves searches together for dividing up ways you work with your Zettelkasten.

I am a Zettler, ie 'one who zettles'
    research: pragmatism, 4e cognitive science, metaphor | you can't be neutral on a moving train

• I ask questions in my notes regularly. Many of the questions are rhetorical to further clarify my understanding.

I agree with @John that there is hidden power in combining tags with saved searches. I hadn't thought about adding a tag like @John's #2DO-Question tag but this seems like it could be helpful. I'm stealing this idea.

Will Simpson
    I'm a Zettelnant.
    Research: Rationalism, Zen, Non-fiction Creative Writing
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited April 18

I do that: I comment in my Zettel.

Example 1

There is quite some evidence for that claim according to XY <--TODO find hat evidence. Search under topic "term" -->

Example 2

<-- Divide this Zettel into three parts. First is about X, second about Y, third about Z -->

Example 3

<-- This was a message from a forum user and my reply on that. Expand the point X -->

I am a Zettler