Zettelkasten Forum

Quality of Connections in a Zettelkasten

edited December 2020 in The Zettelkasten Method

Reading this section of a book made me think about what type of network I'd have in my zettelkasten. Would aiming for a small world network be a good idea with ones zettelkasten?

In the words of the text, what would be good local and distance connections in a zettelkasten? What would be bad local and distance connections in a zettelkasten?

Comments

• I struggled to explain my position in the book and ultimately reduced this aspect both in the course and in the book.

This is interesting to think of but ultimately a distraction, in my opinion. The Small-world type emerges organically when you apply the method and reach a higher complexity. However, to access the form is similarly impossible as it is impossible yet to get this imagery from the brain.

So, Small-world it is but we will not see it. (At least I broke every available graph view so far and there is a technical reason why complex Zettelkastens are avesive when you try to create views on them)

I am a Zettler

• @Nick said:
    Would aiming for a small world network be a good idea with ones zettelkasten?

I'm not sure I could 'aim' for a style of networking in my zettelkasten if I wanted to. Its network evolves as it does, so to say naturally. Some randomness can add value and maybe the spark that causes a forest fire.

In the words of the text, what would be good local and distance connections in a zettelkasten? What would be bad local and distance connections in a zettelkasten?

These are questions that the note-taker while in the experience of note-taking doesn't see or feel.
    It would never occur to me when making a link - "Is this link I'm about to make random, small-world, or lattice?" Nor should it. I just smile and capture the link. :smile:

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com