Zettelkasten Forum

Ratio of content to structure notes?

What is your ratio?

Mine is: 9507:1082, so ~9,5:1

I am a Zettler

Comments

• edited October 2020

How do i calculate this? total number of #zettel / total no. of #structurenotes?

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• Embarrassing.

1564:47, so 33,2:1

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited October 2020

2005:171, so 11,7:1

Started ZK 4.2018. "The path is at your feet, see? Now carry on."

• I can't get this to post for some reason, but my ratio is 11 to 1.

• @zk_1000 said:
    How do i calculate this? total number of #zettel / total no. of #structurenotes?

Grrr now it would be great if all my structure notes would have something in common to search for :grimace:

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited October 2020

@ctietze said:
    Grrr now it would be great if all my structure notes would have something in common to search for :grimace:

That's also why I can't query. Not perfect, but it could be a solution: query zettes that have at least 5 internal links.

My results is 1316 / 116 = ~11.3

This raises a philosophical question, what is the difference between a structure zettel and a zettel with many internal links?

• @zk_1000 said:

Oh, dang. My correct ratio is: 1082:8425 or 1:8,5

From my understanding, this is more accurate if you want to name the ratio. Structure to content note. The former would be the share of structure notes. (My English..)

I am a Zettler

• @bimlas Would be a nice discussion. You might start one.

I am a Zettler

• Mine is 1 : 5.2 :lol: To my defense, I am the type of person who thrives on structure in all areas of life, so Zettelkasten is no exception :lol:

• @ethomasv said:
    Mine is 1 : 5.2 :lol: To my defense, I am the type of person who thrives on structure in all areas of life, so Zettelkasten is no exception :lol:

It might reflect your habit of thinking about relationships between your bits of knowledge a lot.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    What is your ratio?

What can you do with this information? What value does it provide? How does it help you?

• @MikeBraddock said:

@Sascha said:
    What is your ratio?

What can you do with this information? What value does it provide? How does it help you?

Right now, I am roaming for data on the method. All of my research on the Zettelkasten Method is qualitative right now. I have a little quantification of qualitative research yet but I aim to increase it.

This little gold nuggets are the first hints:

@ethomasv said:
    Mine is 1 : 5.2 :lol: To my defense, I am the type of person who thrives on structure in all areas of life, so Zettelkasten is no exception :lol:

And there seems a clustering right now with @Will and @ethomasv being outliers.

I am a Zettler

• Is this ratio a reflection of style and approach or does it indicate something you should try and improve or change?

• @MikeBraddock said:
    Is this ratio a reflection of style and approach or does it indicate something you should try and improve or change?

Hey Mike - I don't think there is any magic number, so probably the former rather than the latter.

But I do find the clustering to be of interest.