Zettelkasten Forum

Link to a specific part of a zettel — is it possible?

Maybe someone can tell me if this is possible: can we link to a specific part of a zettel? Maybe using a specific heading? Or another kind of anchor?

I imagined something like:

The Andalusi agronomist Ibn al-Awwam saw agriculture as a blessed endeavour, as its aim was to sustain life and achieve *mizan* (balance) between humankind and nature. See [[202006070007 Fierro 2019 @1]]

In this case @1 would be included (as an anchor) somewhere within the text of zettel [[202006070007 Fierro 2019]].

================
_Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. _ -- Zora Neale Hurston

Comments

• Just asign an ID to the part of the Zettel and then refer to it.

I am a Zettler

• Thanks. So simple...

Anyway, great to link to concepts or specific text connections.

================
    _Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. _ -- Zora Neale Hurston

• @MJV said:
    Thanks. So simple...

As it should be. :smile:

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    Just asign an ID to the part of the Zettel and then refer to it.

If this was stackexchange you'll be conditioned to write an example >:)

• @Splattack said:

@Sascha said:
    Just asign an ID to the part of the Zettel and then refer to it.

If this was stackexchange you'll be conditioned to write an example >:)

You four-eyed nerds can have your little geek fest while I'm going to throw some footballs and look if Stacey has blue or red underpants, mkay!? :trollface:

PS: tbh, I didn't found an example in my Zettelkasten. One use case I remember in my Zettelkasten is that I put an ID in a subheading.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    PS: tbh, I didn't found an example in my Zettelkasten. One use case I remember in my Zettelkasten is that I put an ID in a subheading.

Here's how I do it (this is an excerpt of the body of a longer note):

Started ZK 4.2018. "The path is at your feet, see? Now carry on."

• @Phil I prefer to place such a jump mark at the beginning of the subsection (paragraph or subchapter or else) because it flows more natural with the learned tendency of reading from left to right and top to bottom. (Perhaps it could be different with Hebrew?)

I am a Zettler

• @Phil @Sascha

Can you show us your logic for intentionally putting these two or more different notions/ideas on the same note? I've been of the habit of creating two notes when confronted with this situation. Particularly this example.

Separate notes - 201807171709 Agriculture and 202006241724 Biodiversity make the ideas easier to link.

I'm not sure where I'd use 'jump links'. Seems like they'd be a flag to split a note. I'm not seeing this clearly, can you help?

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited July 2020

@Will. You must be psychic. :p

As I was writing my post I was thinking about the whole issue of atomicity, how my notes tend toward the long side on occasion, and how this example seemed to illustrate that very point. So I'm glad you noticed that!

The excerpt is from a larger note titled 202006261619----crisis--environmental which summarizes the different facets of the various ecological challenges we face as a species. The embedded links reference the following notes: 202006291709----individual illusion of self (vs. no self) parallels collective illusion of human (vs. nature) (a note on the Buddhist concept of dukkha), and 202006241724----money as frozen desire--ends as means (a note on the reification of money under capitalism).

I put the links where they are because those particular parts of note 202006261619 illustrate the jump-link idea referenced above--and btw, we really do need an agreed upon board nomenclature around here, one person's link being another person's UID, etc.

But on reflection, I think you are right. This note needs to be broken down further in order to be effective, and 'jump-links' are indicators that the note's not atomic enough.

• UPDATE: I broke the note down in the following ways:

• @Phil now I'm really intrigued! I sense convergence in the universe. I'm in 202005210851 U1 ENGL316 Environmental Writing taught by Karen Thompson at the University of Idaho. Class starts in August. I'm taking this class to sharpen my non-fiction writing chops and I've been thinking about how to tie in Zen and non-dualism into writing about the environment. This turns out to be rich and deep.

I didn't pick up that your sample was focused on the environmental crisis.

What reference does #Loy2018 point to?

If you're willing, can you share this thread of notes either publicly or privately? I'm particularly interested in 202006291709----individual illusion of self and 202006241724----money as frozen desire.

One day maybe The Archive could make it easy to share notes and note clusters publicly, privately, or on this forum. Somebody should request this feature?

@Phil said:
    The excerpt is from a larger note titled 202006261619----crisis--environmental which summarizes the different facets of the various ecological challenges we face as a species. The embedded links reference the following notes: 202006291709----individual illusion of self (vs. no self) parallels collective illusion of human (vs. nature) (a note on the Buddhist concept of dukkha), and 202006241724----money as frozen desire--ends as means (a note on the reification of money under capitalism).

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited July 2020

Hi @Will,

I'm happy to share. Your interests echo mine (Oliver's Upstream!). I've been taking notes on David Loy's Ecodharma: Buddhist Teachings for the Ecological Crisis (Wisdom, 2018), which is the primary source for this cluster of notes. I'd also recommend Gary Snyder's The Practice of the Wild (reissued by Counterpoint, 2010), and although I haven't read it, I'm sure Stephanie Kaza's Green Buddhism: Practice and Compassionate Action in Uncertain Times (Shambhala, 2019) is worth a look (I'm familiar with some of her other writing so I feel on solid ground recommending it sight unseen). Loy is a great starting point imo.

Here are those notes. Happy to share more, but maybe off list, as this may not be of interest to others.

• @Will said:
    @Phil @Sascha

Can you show us your logic for intentionally putting these two or more different notions/ideas on the same note? I've been of the habit of creating two notes when confronted with this situation. Particularly this example.

Separate notes - 201807171709 Agriculture and 202006241724 Biodiversity make the ideas easier to link.

I'm not sure where I'd use 'jump links'. Seems like they'd be a flag to split a note. I'm not seeing this clearly, can you help?

Technically, I agree with you. I can remember that I wrote a long, long Zettel and asigned IDs to subheadlines because I was not ready to seperate them but wanted to be able to refer to the subsections already.

I am a Zettler