Zettelkasten Forum

Greetings from this multi-hyphenate in Florida, US

Hi everyone!

My name is Philip, and I am a musician, composer, writer, and a business systems director in Naples Florida. I am a dedicated GTD practitioner, and have been looking for a practical personal knowledge management system like my brand-spanking-new Zettelkasten for a long time. I've tried Evernote, implemented a personal wiki, and even tried keeping everything in Omnifocus along with my tasks and projects. Nothing works like my new copy of The Archive that I've been testing for almost a week now.

I am full of gratitude first to Christian and Sascha for developing and sharing this system, creating this site and sharing so freely (and in English!! Thank you!!). And I'm so grateful to each of you that have made this forum such a vital and productive discussion. I am truly delighted to participate in this community.

Comments

• Welcome Philip!

Being a dedicated GTD practitioner is a solid foundation for the Zettelkasten Method. :smile:

Looking forward.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:

Being a dedicated GTD practitioner is a solid foundation for the Zettelkasten Method. :smile:

Interesting, why do you think that?

• @Vinho said:

@Sascha said:

Interesting, why do you think that?

If you already learned how to adhere to a method you understand better on how to implement such things in general. And GTD is a solid foundation for self-organisation which is fundamental for all areas of life.

I am a Zettler

• I'm trying to practice GTD myself since the end of last year, but find it a bit challenging to combine it with my Zettelkasten-work for different reasons. I often end up not putting Zettelkasten work into my task-manager (OmniFocus). I'll explore that further.

• @Vinho said:
    I'm trying to practice GTD myself since the end of last year, but find it a bit challenging to combine it with my Zettelkasten-work for different reasons. I often end up not putting Zettelkasten work into my task-manager (OmniFocus). I'll explore that further.

Looking forward to it.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    Welcome Philip!

Looking forward.

Thank you Sascha!

• @Vinho said:
    I'm trying to practice GTD myself since the end of last year, but find it a bit challenging to combine it with my Zettelkasten-work for different reasons. I often end up not putting Zettelkasten work into my task-manager (OmniFocus). I'll explore that further.

I think this is a fascinating line of inquiry. As a musician/composer, I often find that my next action on a composition is not something I record specifically in my system (also Omnifocus), because it is not immediately apparent. I feel like the work in the Zettelkasten is the same — I just don't know exactly what my next action is, except to get in it and see what happens. Maybe we should create a new discussion about that.