Zettelkasten Forum

What are your ZK plans for 24 July - 30 July 2022?

Share with the community your plans for zettelkasting this week.

My plans for this coming week:

• Wrapping up my deep dive into The Tao of Travel by Paul Theroux. 3 weeks and counting.
  • I'm starting the book The Book of Form and Emptiness by Ruth Ozeki.
  • I'm working on the flow and rhythm of onboarding articles into my ZK. How the onboarding process flows is on a spectrum that is related to the complexity of the ideas captured from digesting the article. Some web articles are light containing only one or two sparkling ideas. Some books require weeks of additional research and reading to assimilate. Most artifacts of knowledge land between these two extremes. I'm working at the easier end of this spectrum.

Here are a few of the titles of zettel I've been working on last week.

• Unlocking the power of emotion in writing 20220722
  • B-The Book Of Form And Emptiness 20220723
  • A-Operational Advice That Might Work 20220720
  • Air Travel 20220722
  • A-We're Always Training in Something 20220721
  • Equivocation Fallacy 20220721
  • A-Note to Self on the Matter of Hope 20220720
  • Aspen Pando 20220718

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• @Will If you are willing to share, I’m interested to see what your wrote on “…the Matter of Hope”. I’ve written at least one zettel on that topic, if not a few.

• The zettel was captured during working on my zettelkasting rhythm. Guy is a philosopher and a photographer I've followed for nearly 20 years. His musing spurred one interesting idea I wanted to capture.

Note to Self on the Matter of Hope – Guy Tal | Photographer, Author

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited July 2022

Got a copy of Botton's "Art of Travel" for my fiancée thanks to your recommendations, by the way. Thanks!

Last week

• Finished the work-work sprint, am now free for 2 weeks
    • Moved my Kimchi into the fridge (it's good enough). Next time: less garlic!
    • We set up a 3l glass of cucumbers in salt brine for the next fermentation run
    • Some light web development on the side

New notes

• 202207231021 Define prefix key for keymap in Elisp
    • 202207220846 (small salad in incubation vs how fast it grows once you put it into real soil)
    • 202207211441 Jahwe
    • 202207211438 (One's first website is an announcement, 'I am here')
    • 202207211420 TDD means to write counter-factual statements
    • 202207201401 TeamViewer maybe uses a custom font so websites can detect the app
    • 202207191834 Dream of life must be in sync with actuality for spritiual health
    • 202207191512 § Being a Paladin
    • 202207191504 Failing to stand your ground has regression cost
    • 202207191458 Personal hell is future-you if you gave in to all your inadequacies
    • 202207190911 Save Emacs Macro as a function
    • 202207181623 Make Moom shortcuts local to the Moom window
    • 202207181606 Content creator is the modern day factory worker

• Matt Gemmell: "Content Creation", 2022-04-22, https://mattgemmell.com/content-creation/
      • "Content is fungible, space-filling, placeholder-replacing stuff, and that’s not even its most offensive connotation. The worst part of “content” is that it’s implicitly relative to its container. That’s what content means. The contents of a sandwich are with respect to the bread. The content is just what’s inside. It’s probably the most trivialising, demeaning, depressing, surrendering term out there — but people lay claim to it. People define themselves as makers of it."
    • 202207181236 Game collectors editions don't contain disks anymore

This week

• Focused work on the The Archive scriptability.
    • Taxes

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze, we both have @rl911 to thank for referencing Alain de Botton's The Art of Travel. He turned me on to it last month.

Maybe this weekly thread does have some value. I get lots of value, but it is not a zero-sum enterprise. The more that participate, the greater the value for everyone. My only wish is more people would participate. What do you think are the barriers to participation?

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• I've been lurking for a while, but I so appreciate what I've been learning from all of you that I decided to add to this thread! I'm working on a major presentation on "Belonging" so a lot of my reading and notes have been in that area (with predictable and delightful detours).

• @mlbrandt, welcome! And thanks for the note on what you are working on with your ZK.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:
    @ctietze, we both have @rl911 to thank for referencing Alain de Botton's The Art of Travel. He turned me on to it last month.

i have to thank ;-)

for the tip about "The Tao of Travel by Paul Theroux".

An interesting but also dangerous read: so many ideas and references to further perspectives about travel.

immer am Rand der Sammlerfalle

• I just started Effective Notetaking by Fiona McPherson. It’s the first book I want to take notes in The Archive.
    I’m curious how it will work out for me. So far I just made some templates in The Archive for conformity of my notes.

• Hi, @Volker. Thanks for sharing what you are up to. Fiona McPherson's Effective Notetaking is great, and we have @Sascha to thank for the connection.

When I read Effective Notetaking, I was able to highlight and take digital notes using scribd.com. Exporting the notes gave me a skeleton to work with in Round 2 of the metaphorical boxing match between Fiona's ideas and me.

Having a few templates for conformity helps a bunch. 102.4% of my notes are started from one template or another.

Let us know how this goes. Ask if you have questions. Good luck.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• Hi @Will , thank you for the link and the good wishes :)