Zettelkasten Forum

Automatically grabbing note's URL?

How can I set up a keyboard shortcut or automate grabbing the URL of the note, which I can currently only seem to get with a right click?

-apoc527
This is Me

Comments

• Just to be certain: Do you want a file:// link or the [[WikiLinks]], @apoc527?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    Just to be certain: Do you want a file:// link or the [[WikiLinks]], @apoc527?

Ultimately I'd like a file:// link if possible. The Wikilinks function is already there, as I discovered.

-apoc527
    This is Me

• You can use the following Keyboard Maestro macro to copy the external file:// link of a note to the clipboard:

(I've also attached the actual macro as a zip file)

Usage:

1. Click on a note in the notes list or select one using the arrow keys (i.e., you can't be in note edit mode).
    2. Hit ⌘0 (or whatever hot key you have set).

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

• @Basil I think you used the wrong screenshot.

• @Eurobubba said:
    @Basil I think you used the wrong screenshot.

I'm not quite sure why you would think that, @Eurobubba. apoc527 said "Ultimately I'd like a file:// link", and my screenshot depicts a macro that generates the "file://" link for a given note. Or am I missing something here?

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

• He got it right. Works fine too!

-apoc527
    This is Me

• It does, in fact, create a thearchive:// link, not a file:// link, maybe that's what @Eurobubba was about?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Whoops, you are right, @ctietze, I totally missed that!

In my defense, though, the two important types of links with respect to The Archive are internal [[Wiki style]] links and external thearchive:// links. file:// links, by contrast, are only useful in niche scenarios, because they only point the physical file, but not to the actual note inside The Archive.

So when a certain someone asked whether the OP wanted file:// or [[WikiLinks]] links, my brain automatically translated that to [[Wiki style]] v. thearchive:// links. Judging by apoc527's response, it looks like he did the same mental translation and actually wanted thearchive:// links and not the less useful file:// links. :smile:

• @Basil said:
    Whoops, you are right, @ctietze, I totally missed that!
    Judging by apoc527's response, it looks like he did the same mental translation and actually wanted thearchive:// links and not the less useful file:// links. :smile:

Yup. Sure did. :-)

-apoc527
    This is Me