Zettelkasten Forum

Use Case: Investing with the Zettelkasten Method

imageUse Case: Investing with the Zettelkasten Method

I am not an investment professional. I do invest in stock and some other assets to create passive income through dividends and to build a safety net. I don’t make the time-commitment for in-depth research. I merely want to avoid dumb decisions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Great example. A use-case of value. The combining of different dynamic elements in a structure note. You've sent me straight to my achieve to find an example. Sadly, I found all my previous structure notes are but a list of links interspersed with explanation, summary, small sub-atomic nuggets, contradictions, etc. I fail to find an example similar to this. my failing, which I'm going to correct.

@Sascha, your example is a new and creative way to extend one's zettelkasten. Forming a question first, then crafting the zettel as an answer. Which is different from discovering an answer to a question your zettel asks of you.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Interesting article and agree with @Will on the bit about two modes using the ZK: undirected and directed. Both have their place and I've been using both but not as consciously up to now.

I'm very interested in more examples of structure notes. My understanding has always been that this is just another term for index/outline/MOC. However, @Sascha's example implies that there is value in having certain types of notes as "dashboard" types for various purposes. I suspect I have been doing some of this intuitively already (not as structured as that example though) and I for one would like to see more examples to gain a deeper understanding of that concept.

• I don't understand the meaning of the word canvas. There are many synonyms. Is it in the sense of background / context? So in the canvas section we could make an outline about the table itself, in this case, the metrics shown.

How do you use the tag ##stocks, is it to find this table? Do you tag all references as well?

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• Nice example, thank you.
    Just a question: why not use a simple sheet for this?
    I ask because I'm using AirTable for some notes (i.e.: projects and contacts), but as days go on I realize that I can do almost the same with some (very) organized text notes.

• edited March 2021

@davecan said:
    @Sascha's example implies that there is value in having certain types of notes as "dashboard" types for various purposes.

See bellow. There is only one purpose: Figure things out.

I suspect I have been doing some of this intuitively already (not as structured as that example though) and I for one would like to see more examples to gain a deeper understanding of that concept.

You did. There are is not "dashboard"-note. Notes that serve as dashboards are just notes that are not finished nor follow a prescribed form. Any note and every note is a dashboard. The dashboard section is exactly that: Unfinished and informal stuff gets worked on there.

So, if you worked on a note and accepted that there will be multiple iteration to get it right you did everything what you can do with a dashboard. ;)

@zk_1000 said:
    I don't understand the meaning of the word canvas. There are many synonyms. Is it in the sense of background / context? So in the canvas section we could make an outline about the table itself, in this case, the metrics shown.

Canvas means just a surface on which is space to have things. The canvas section is just a dashboard for stuff I have no clue yet on how to relate it to the table. A place where I think.

How do you use the tag ##stocks, is it to find this table? Do you tag all references as well?

The tag "##stocks" gives me all the important notes on stocks. There are three notes:

1. My personal stock index
    2. The note with the presented table
    3. The general note on stock

@IvanFerrero said:
    Nice example, thank you.
    I ask because I'm using AirTable for some notes (i.e.: projects and contacts), but as days go on I realize that I can do almost the same with some (very) organized text notes.

Then it wouldn't be part of my Zettelkasten and I wouldn't get to work on the dedicated note to each method with one click within the same environment.

I am a Zettler

• To piggyback off of Christians comment "Structures can take many forms.", take a look at the Wikipedia page for structure. It lists both common structures in the abstract and examples of structure throughout the sciences.

• @IvanFerrero said:
    Nice example, thank you.

Then it wouldn't be part of my Zettelkasten and I wouldn't get to work on the dedicated note to each method with one click within the same environment.

Agreed. It makes sense.
    Having only one method helps us to avoid the cognitive overload.
    Worth considering.