Zettelkasten Forum

Beginner question: turning older text back into notes

Hi,

I've recently found myself in a situation where I felt the need to revise a course I'm teaching. Currently, the course has somewhat extensive materials, which for reasons or others, are not working for a specific subset of my students. After several years of teaching with this text, I've practically run out of incremental improvements, leading to decision to revise the material entirely.

Much of the factual content is already written, but the presentation, sequencing and ratio of examples to facts is really not that good.

I have been brainstorming on approaches to this and one approach that came to mind is to feed to material into zettelkasten and let it brew there and then rewrite the whole thing.

But, I'm bit dubious on whether it would actually be worth the trouble to build the zettels. Has anyone done a similar thing with their texts? Was it useful?

Comments

• The actual steps depend on which software you use. I just copy the old material into my Zettelkasten and then break it up into distinct Zettel. This is the same process as writing a very long Zettel and then breaking it up into ones that contain one thought only.

I am a Zettler