Zettelkasten Forum

How do I use the Zettelkasten slip box app?

http://zettelkasten.danielluedecke.de/en/

There's where I got mine. The thing is, I don't know how to use it. I can't find any instructions or guidebooks on how to use it.

Can anyone help here? Thank you :)

Mark

Comments

• This would be a question for Daniel Lüdecke himself.. :wink:

I am a Zettler

• Hi @ThisIsNotMyUsername , I think basically if you haven't read Sohnke Ahrens 'How to take smart notes' yet then that is the best place to start about the methodology in general. That's where many people on this site started off. Once you get a handle on the general idea, then you need to start your own slip box. You can use a program or even a physical one.

As for program, most people on this site use The Archive, because this site is run by the developers of that program, who are very active and involved in using the methodology themselves and in sharing their knowledge and skills. Bugs and feature requests seem to be dealt with very quickly. I believe part of the reason for many of the people on here coming here was that constant contact with the developers. Another reason is the stripped back, plain text functionality, with very little you actually need to learn in order to get started.

So... after all that I can't tell you anything about how to use or get help with Daniel Ludecke's one. But I can tell you that once I found this site I was not tempted to even try using Daniel Ludecke's program.

Does that help at all?
    Anyway, good luck!

• @Steph said:
    Hi @ThisIsNotMyUsername , I think basically if you haven't read Sohnke Ahrens 'How to take smart notes' yet then that is the best place to start about the methodology in general. That's where many people on this site started off. Once you get a handle on the general idea, then you need to start your own slip box. You can use a program or even a physical one.

As for program, most people on this site use The Archive, because this site is run by the developers of that program, who are very active and involved in using the methodology themselves and in sharing their knowledge and skills. Bugs and feature requests seem to be dealt with very quickly. I believe part of the reason for many of the people on here coming here was that constant contact with the developers. Another reason is the stripped back, plain text functionality, with very little you actually need to learn in order to get started.

So... after all that I can't tell you anything about how to use or get help with Daniel Ludecke's one. But I can tell you that once I found this site I was not tempted to even try using Daniel Ludecke's program.

Does that help at all?
    Anyway, good luck!

Thank you, it does help!

I take it then that The Archive is something that is at least as good as Daniel's app, though maybe easier to understand? :)

• @ThisIsNotMyUsername Yes I believe so, although I myself am pretty new to the whole thing and am literally just this week starting out compiling my own zettelkasten. But I am pretty convinced that the sooner we get away from rich text, graphic user interfaces and the like, and just start working in plain text and the important function of linking, then the creative thought and good ideas will flow. One document that sets out the workflow is https://kieranhealy.org/files/papers/plain-person-text.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0VQAVoH2V_8b0t0Ah6r56v2ND5ySluhbVVPtM_ybcXxRwcM52oUeUAjRk . The other programs that go along with The Archive are: BibLATEX for references, git for long term project documentation, and some sort of backup.
    Btw, where are you from and what do you work on? How did you get attracted by the method? Folk on here are really helpful; put a wee bit about yourself in the introductions folder and join in