Zettelkasten Forum

One note per-concept, or one note per-claim?

Given this claim:

"Human Behavior is driven by Mental Models, which are expressed in Sense Memories"

Do you create notes like this:

1. Human Behavior is driven by Mental Models
  2. Mental Models are expressed in Sense Memories

Or like this:

1. Human Behavior
  2. Mental Models
  3. Sense Memories

...Or some other combination?

Comments

• Great question. I'd like to know the same. If you really take the Principle of Atomicity to heart, once could conceivably make a zettel out of every sentence or paragraph, since there is usually at least one main proposition.

W.r.t your quote, I would probably do it in sentence form with specific propositions, like you have in the first example.

Your second example is what I would make for structure notes or overview notes as I call them.

Human Behavior
    Mental Models
    Sense Memories

In your archive, you will likely have many ground-level zettels that pertain to those topics. Thus, these overview notes would collect and structure the individual zettels around each idea (e.g. human behavior, mental models, etc.).

In your individual zettels (e.g. Human Behavior is driven by Mental Models), you might even do it so that you link to the overview note. So:

2018120201 [[Human behavior]] is driven by 2018120202 [[Mental models]]. That's actually how I would do it. That way you've made the links at the outset.

@sfast and @ctietze may have better suggestions, but this is how I would do it. As @sfast has discussed, I see my zettelkasten in layers, with notes having different layers of granularity and building on each other. I think the examples you provide are two different layers, both of which add value and serve different roles.

• I would do it in a similar way. At first, though, if the claim is all I had, I probably wouldn't even bother to split in in two. But I see the point of this contrived example (I can tell it's contrived because e.g. the source of the claim is missing from the quote :)), so: what @achamess said!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • http://christiantietze.de/

• In my archive, it would look like this:

Human Behavior [[201812061423]] is driven by Mental Models [[201812061423]], which are expressed in Sense Memories [[201812061423]].

So, there'd be four notes.

• @sfast said:
    In my archive, it would look like this:

Human Behavior [[201812061423]] is driven by Mental Models [[201812061423]], which are expressed in Sense Memories [[201812061423]].

So, there'd be four notes.

What would be contained within the individual notes? Definitions of the terms?

• It would depend on the level of processing already done. I generally don't link to definitions because I expect me to know all the definitions. The links can go to

• the structure note that governs the topic
    • a expanding note that expand on the same topic from another perspective
    • etc.