Zettelkasten Forum

Sequence of literature notes on 4x6 cards

Hi, everyone. I've been using a hybrid ZK system as my fleeting notes are on my notebook daily journals, reference notes on 4x6 cards, and main notes in Obsidian.

For the past few months, I've taken a lot of reference notes on 4x6 cards ranging from Coursera courses, academic journals to books and even my own daily journal.

After converting them into main notes for 3 weeks, I now have a question, which is hilarious but did bother me a lot. The question is how should I sequence my reference note cards for a course or a book because I might have notes on two cards for 2 chapters or for a combination of different lesson videos.

I watch some YouTube videos, but it looks like no one have talked about sequencing of reference note cards?

Comments

• Can you come up with an illustrative example so we all have something concrete to discuss?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    Can you come up with an illustrative example so we all have something concrete to discuss?

Hi, ctietze, thank you for your advice.

Here's an example.

I take notes from Coursera Arizona University TESOL course.

Now, module 1 of the course has 4 lessons, each lesson comes with video, reading, quiz and bonus materials.

So at first, I try to create one card for one reading/video/quiz, and thus I can give each card a title following the video/reading/quiz title, but I find by doing that, I could potentially waste so many space on a card.

However, if I fill one card with notes from, let's say, 1 video and 1 reading, then I have no idea how to retrieve its information later, because I do not know what the card is about when it's placed in a box. It also makes me confused on where to put this card in a number of similar cards.

• With that concrete example, I would say that the trouble stems from re-creating the course structure in your notes. What for?

I quickly searched for "Coursera Arizona University TESOL course", sounds like an English teacher certification. So potentially interesting ideas (that I totally made up!) that could go into my Zettelkasten would be e.g.

• something about the use of "capstone projects" in teaching (a note about the course curriculum that could transfer to giving courses myself)
    • how to gauge and grade English reading proficiency levels
    • requirements to become an English language teacher

Taking the course is just a means to acquire knowledge that's quizzed in the certification process. The course itself as a topic to create notes for doesn't sound like something interesting at all -- unless you're a historian of TESOL courses and need to meticulously analyze the course curriculum, maybe :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/