Zettelkasten Forum

[Journal, Q&A, AMA] Writing a Book with my Zettelkasten

2»

Comments

• Whenever I don't see foot or end notes in your book, I will officially put you on my list of personal enemies.

I am a Zettler

• Next book: The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal
    • The first source is already silver level. :smile: Very, nice. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19883487/)
    • I am wondering if I should alternate weekly: One week just the habit book, the other week just ZKde etc.

I am a Zettler

• One of my opinions is confirmed by a long shot: Reading is not the bottleneck. If I'd just read on the toilet while having a big business, it would be enough to give me sufficient material to process.

Sure, technically I read also during the processing sessions (papers, re-reading highlights etc.). But as a reading habit, just a couple of minutes per day would be enough.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    But as a reading habit, just a couple of minutes per day would be enough.

I agree with your conclusion.

If the goal of the reading habit is to feed your processing sessions, as you say, five minutes of reading can be easily converted into many hours of processing.

But the reading habit is more than that, reading a lot helps you decide what to start processing and what to stop processing (if you find something more valuable). But maybe I am just reinventing the Barbell method of reading here ;-)

For example, I am processing this fiction writing workshop, and just the first 5 minutes of the video were enough for almost 2 hours of processing.

“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” —Isaac Newton
    eljardindegestalt.com

• @FernandoNobel said:
    If the goal of the reading habit is to feed your processing sessions, as you say, five minutes of reading can be easily converted into many hours of processing.

But the reading habit is more than that, reading a lot helps you decide what to start processing and what to stop processing (if you find something more valuable). But maybe I am just reinventing the Barbell method of reading here ;-)

I agree. Since I quite audiobooks in the evening, I am back to reading 2 books per week (non-fiction; fiction takes longer). The reading habit has a lot of more values than just to generate material to process.

You just have to accept that your pile of shame grows. :D

I am a Zettler

• Two non-fiction books a week! Wow!

Yes, I am still on my way to accepting the inevitable growth of my pile of shame...

“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” —Isaac Newton
    eljardindegestalt.com

• Yesterday's session was mostly compromised of cleaning up my structure note on self-control.

It was a very productive session.

This is one of the graphics that I could produce:

(based on duckworth2014)

I am on a very satisfying path with my Zettelkasten work.

Tamar Szabó Gendler Angela L. Duckworth and James J. Gross (2014): Self-Control in School-Age Children, Educational Psychologist 3, 2014, Vol. 49, S. 199-217.

I am a Zettler

• To give you an insight into the lifestyle that I feel is necessary to attack such a project:

It is not 7 am yet and I already wrote 3000 words. I will keep going until noon. (words per hour will decrease substantially because I will read more in the following hours and attack tasks that will result in viewer written words)

The Zettelkasten Method moves the bottleneck from the system to you. Right now, my system doesn't impose relevant extra work that slows me down:

Right now, I highly satisfied with the progress and the simplicity of working on that book. The hard work is the wrestling with the ideas. This is exactly the right bottleneck: The only limiting factor for me are time and energy.

That means I need to really push myself: Almost all the energy is utilised by the project itself and not some maintenance and system-specific friction loss.

This is one of the "secret" ingredients of knowledge work: Pushing the limits of oneself.

I am a Zettler

• edited March 15

Major leap forward: Pulled together various concepts like willpower, fatigue, resources, commitment, restraint and some more together and managed to design a coherent model.

The inspiration was this AWESOME quote:

Wether you look to science or your own life for evidence, it is clear that we humans have a tendency to run out of willpower. But one thing that isn't clear is wether we run out of power, or wether we just run out of will. (Mcgonigal2013, 70)

Kelly McGonigal (2013): The Willpower Instinct. How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It, USA: Avery.

Post edited by Sascha on

I am a Zettler

• I am so glad to see living example of using a Zettelkasten to write a book. It is inspirationnal, as you seem to be at ease with it and without friction, and I am extremely curious of reading it when you'll publish it (if you publish it in English ^^')

For the translation of "Way of Living: Movement." : is it close to the NEAT notion (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)? To move to keep balance in energy.

The Artic Athlete. (How to use cold stress to improve athletic training)

I saw an ARTE video about testing Elina Mäkinen, who swims into really, really cold water. For example, they track with a IRM her "brown fat" and she has more of it than an average swimmer. As Arte is a french and german channel, maybe you can find it in German too, it can interest you.

Hybrid Training. (a training system developed mostly by Alex Viada , but I like to integrate protocols like Anti-Glycolytic Training)

Oh my, I am all in here. I read the article you share and this part :

An example would be a seven-second all-out sprint effort. It can take upward of 10 minutes for the body to recover, but most coaches don’t have that time during sessions. A good compromise would be in the 2.5- to 3-minute range. It is enough time to replenish for the next sprint and also make sure that you get in enough sprint volume to produce the adaptation. AGT can be used in the weight room and on the field.

And there, I better understand the "sweet spot" notion. It was such a good reading.

I do block climbing, in room. The ATG notion applies pretty well here. It is quite an explosive effort, with sheer force, breathing, technical problem to solve, and being able to keep moving while being in really discomfortable situations... But as climbers, what we avoid is acid lactic : the forearms become "bottle" and no longer respond. So we need to enhance the circulatory system and muscular efficiency to be able to lift oursleves 4 meters from the ground.

I tend to imitate experienced climber : they climb, it seems easy, they jump, stay calm for 3 minutes and go back to the wall. I saw a really good climber do a hard hard wall without sweating, but his muscles stretched like ropes . This is the ultimate goal of a climber : not sweating as a broken thing at the end of the session, but being in control while moving the body's weight on a toe. Fatigue is the ennemy.

I will inspire myself with this notion (and further readings) to enhance my musculation trainings between session.

I wish you the best for your writing sessions!

• @Loni said:
    I am so glad to see living example of using a Zettelkasten to write a book. It is inspirationnal, as you seem to be at ease with it and without friction, and I am extremely curious of reading it when you'll publish it (if you publish it in English ^^')

The translation is obligatory, so I can show the power of the ZK. :)

For the translation of "Way of Living: Movement." : is it close to the NEAT notion (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)? To move to keep balance in energy.

Rather, it is a complete manual on how to integrate all things about movement (training, NEAT, mobility, its role in health, etc.), how it can be integrated with nutrition, habits, meaning and self-organisation. :)

The Artic Athlete. (How to use cold stress to improve athletic training)

I saw an ARTE video about testing Elina Mäkinen, who swims into really, really cold water. For example, they track with a IRM her "brown fat" and she has more of it than an average swimmer. As Arte is a french and german channel, maybe you can find it in German too, it can interest you.

I look that up. Thanks.

I am a Zettler