Share with us what is happening in your ZK this week. September 19, 2023
Swimming with Ideas
Another installment of the What Are You Working On? thread.
Add to this thread by telling us what is happening in and around your ZK journey. Join the community and enlighten us about your knowledge path trajectory. I do this for selfish reasons. It helps me clarify my goals and visualize my thinking. And sometimes, a conversation sparks an idea worth exploring.
Ideas I'm thinking about:
- The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis and Linguistic Relativity. Together, these ideas present the notion that language shapes experience. Maybe I have a warped understanding of this. This is obvious when considering self-talk. The language we use when we talk to ourselves dictates our moods, affect, actions, behaviors, and total experience. This is good news. Changing how we talk to ourselves and the stories we tell ourselves will change our experience—the role of methodeutic language or 'speculative rhetoric' as it steers cognitive understanding of the world.
- I'm a judgment machine. Comparisons and self-criticism are sneaky and ubiquitous. I'm not talking about "I'm a failure." I'm talking about "Shouldn't I spend more time exercising, in the outdoors, walking, zettelkasting?" and other subtle ways I self-evaluate and am critical of my behavior.
- Push above what I think is my "reading level" to achieve mastery by reading more books that present more profound ideas. If I want to understand bigger ideas, I must read books with greater ideas to grasp the deeper concepts essential for remarkable achievements. It's not enough to read a lot. To do extraordinary things, I must read books that stretch my mind.
- Muscle mass preservation during weight loss in a 66-year-old male.
Things I'm reading:
- Lispector, Clarice and Costa, Margaret Jull and Patterson, Robin and Valente, Paulo Gurgel. Too much of life: the complete crônicas. 2022.
- Siegel, Ronald. The extraordinary gift of being ordinary: finding happiness right where you are. 2022.
- Blum, Andrew. The weather machine: a journey inside the forecast. 2019.
- Davis, Lydia. Essays one. 2020.
Music I'm listening to:
The "My rolling ten-day zettel production" is produced by a script for attachment to my daily journaling template. I do my journaling in Bear to keep personal journaling separate from my knowledge work.
My ten day zettel production
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!