Zettelkasten Forum

Hello from America

Hello there. I'm Michael.
I've been finding my way with the zettelkasten method since March 2022 after discovering it completely on accident on Youtube; if memory serves the video just popped up on my feed randomly. Initially I was just dumping random stuff into an Obsidian vault. A lot of mistakes, experimentation, and app-hopping (Obsidian had too many bells and whistles for my taste) later and now I use a combination of The Archive (really fantastic piece of software) and Zotero. As of this writing I have 287 notes and they are just starting to consistently find their links.
I am an osteopathic physician with board certification in internal medicine, currently training in osteopathic neuromusculoskeletal medicine (I use my hands to diagnose and treat structural abnormalities in the body that, by producing dysfunction, contribute to disease). Much of my work in the ZK involves osteopathic medicine: history, philosophy, relationship with traditional (allopathic) medicine, its place in the current American medical operating environment (don't get me started on that mess; it isn't well-represented in the ZK yet but I'm sure it will be), application to real-world health and sickness, etc.
Out of curiosity, does anyone keep multiple topics utterly unrelated within their ZK? When I started I was putting in schedules, annotated chess games, contact lists . . . I found it way too clunky and keep the system more focused on medicine now.
You'll find I'm pretty quiet otherwise. Pleased to meet you all.

M

Comments

• Welcome aboard.

Out of curiosity, does anyone keep multiple topics utterly unrelated within their ZK? When I started I was putting in schedules, annotated chess games, contact lists . . . I

Yes, similar fields of yours: training, nutrition, mobility, health, robustness, fitness, xenohormesis etc.

But I also have:

training dogs, analytical philosophy, short stories and story fragments, zettelkasten etc.

:)

I am a Zettler

• @MichaelB said:
    Out of curiosity, does anyone keep multiple topics utterly unrelated within their ZK? When I started I was putting in schedules, annotated chess games, contact lists . . . I found it way too clunky and keep the system more focused on medicine now.
    You'll find I'm pretty quiet otherwise. Pleased to meet you all.

Good to meet you as well, Michael. Welcome to the forum.

I don't think there is a hard and fast answer to your question. For personal use, like @Sascha , I have many topics all mixed together. They don't trip over each other, so there is no extra friction to using my ZK because of it. Occasionally there is an advantage when I find a link between seemingly unrelated topics.

On the other hand, I have created separate ZKs for work projects, when it made sense (particularly when collaborating on a ZK with other people).

In any case, since each zettel is just a text file, it is a simple matter to copy a few zettel files from one directory to another, if I want to have say a zettel created in a work ZK to also be included in my personal ZK.