Zettelkasten Forum

On gradual construction of toughts during speech

edited November 2022 in The Zettelkasten Method

Dear Zettlers,

this is one of the canon articles in German. I didn't check the quality of the translation. But at least, I found one that is publicly available.

Link to the article: On gradual construction of toughts during speech

Live long and prosper
Sascha

Post edited by Sascha on

I am a Zettler

Comments

• The link was broken in your post above. I think it's a recurring problem with long links on the internet in general, so I've embedded it here.

I have often noticed that it can be helpful to talk something through with someone, and vice-versa. That is, to be each other's 'sounding boards.' But I've also noticed that it's so tempting to try to give advice or suggestions, when it would be better to just let the other person talk through the idea. Likewise, when I just want to talk about an idea, the other person feels compelled to offer some sort of solution.

But if both people understand that it's about thinking out loud, then it can work well.

• From the article: "Therefore, when an idea is expressed in a disorderly manner, it does not follow at all that it was also thought in a disorderly manner; rather it could easily be that the least clearly expressed ideas are just the most clearly thought. "

Aye. Rings true here. Good article.

Re: thinking out loud...

Spot on. That's it, right there.

• @Sascha Yes, I like this article, although it ranges quite far from its original title. But I think the main idea, that ideas are developed during speech, and in some cases during dialogue, is a sound one. I had one friend who could not think unless he was talking and another who could not talk until he had finished thinking. The first one was a delight, for you could see his thinking process evolve and even fuel his fires with a few well-placed words. The second was more of an enigma - you had to be patient and wait, or you'd miss his gems. But he still came up with them. The two actually got along quite well, once they realized what the other was up to.