Zettelkasten Forum

What were your success last week and your plans for this week? [Week 6]

Please share what small or large ZK successes you had in the past week. Please share your plans are for this coming week. Use this as a public responsibility thread. Use it to hold yourself accountable. Use this as a way to start a conversation.

Last week

• Deep Thinking Retreat
    - Captured wild spontaneous ideas

• List Comprehensions

• Effort as a comparison of alternatives
    - Scott Young

• The Structured Pursuit of Depth
    - Cal Newport

• For Else Loop

• Cognition in the Wild
    - Current reading

• Breastfed Infants Likely Safe From COVID
    - News Release Assignment

• Slicing Text

• String.Replace()
  • Writing In Markdown, Citing With Zotero, And Publishing With Pandoc
    - Setup

This coming week

• Constancy vs. Intensity
  • Marcus Aurelius's Meditations
  • Work with quantified self, seeing if I can extract meaning from the data
  • Style: Toward Clarity And Grace 202111181949 - I started processing last Nov., and it is taking me a long time.
  • Where The Heart Beats 202107261132- Started processing last July—and is taking me even longer because of its richness.
  • 5:2 6:1 Intermittent Fasting Benefits

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited February 2022

Last week

I wrote 4 (FOUR) Zettel last week. Wasn't a productive week at all, but esp. not for knowledge work. I did manage to produce a couple changes to The Archive for the next update, though. The writing-thinking took place in my project notes for sensemaking, which might this week turn into process-able insights that I'll keep in my Zettelkasten.

This week

Focused time to work on The Archive. Over the past couple months, I found a few instances where parts of the code base were subject to "rot" and need cleaning up to prepare for the next big milestone, that is: Scriptability.

Writing-wise, around the turn of the year, I originally wanted to assemble two rough drafts or rather collections of programming tips for technology that's about to become obsolete in a couple of years. The format would be a cookbook style recipe collection. It's like a blog post collection """ebook""" everyone probably knows from recent years on the internet.

The intention is to not produce 1 large narrative with thought-through didactic, but instead a collection of sorted and grouped, but otherwise unconnected pieces. That's a cheap cop-out and doesn't deserve any writing accolades -- but if I wait much longer, there won't be a point in publishing the stuff at all anymore, so better hand out the ingredients for the code than sit on what's going to amount to compost come 2025.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Last Week

Created 11 Zettels:

• 202202061423 Model for fictional worlds
    • 202202061400 Unnamed fictional universe
    • 202202061350 Model for fictional universes
    • 202202051243 Truth is a trait of knowledge
    • 202202050827 Distractions drain your attention from the main task
    • 202202041553 Writing texts effortlessly and the Barbell Method of Learning difference
    • 202202041248 Learn efficiently by combining an idea index, the Barbell Method of Learning, and a method to mark up sources
    • 202202031612 The Barbell Method of Learning
    • 202202031608 Shallow processing definition
    • 202202011651 Deep processing definition
    • 202202011019 Invest definition

This week

• Get into making comics. I got back into workaholism and thus burned out once more. I thought of taking up a hobby to blow some steam. I can't decide between making comics and playing Skullgirls, so I'm going to try each for a month. This month will be making comics. Right now, I'm reading How To Read a Book so I can improve my reading skills and have an easier time reading other reading material.
    • Killing my backlog.
    • College preparation.
  • Last Week

Last week I started two new "wings" of my ZK:
    1. Notes on my studies of Aikido (especially learning the vocabulary in Japanese), including quotes from several texts I've been studying and a response to something my sensei said.
    2. A dedicated wing for my notes on philosophy of dialogue, conflict mitigation, and peace activism. This emerged when I discovered an overlap between my new notes on Aikido, previous notes on philosophy, and some of my notes on applied cartography.

This Week

This week I hope to finish several essays related to my work in geography, including one that might be published in a journal. Relatedly, I'm beginning to feed my thesis back into my ZK so as to prepare for an upcoming conference and begin drafting another article for publication.

I also anticipate continuing to grow the new wings I started last week, though right now neither of these has a targeted output (and that's okay).

• I'm kinda stuck with my notes. I have a list of about a dozen of notes, most of them half-finished. But I can't force myself nor find a desire to do so. Maybe it's a result of undersleeping.

@Annabella said:

• 202202061423 Model for fictional worlds

Care to share?

• Last Week
    I finished a multi-week-long project converting some old notes into the Zettelkasten format. Ten Zettel's, with ten messages per topic, linked to 3 ideas per note; each concept crossed referenced with journal entries and other views. Whew, it is great to have it all cataloged inside my Zettelkasten.

This Week
    I've decided to take a stroll down @Sascha Zettelkasten Method for Fiction. I am utilizing one of the recommended books (The Story Grid) to process Quicksilver by Dean Koontz.

• @emps Keep us posted if you make or don't make progress on that. Sometimes it may be exhaustion, sometimes it may be the process or overthinking it that gets in the way.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited February 2022

@emps
    On second thought, those Zettels with "model" in the title are kinda clickbaity, heh. The Zettel you asked for is nothing fancy, though. Just a model for my Zettels:

1. Plot
    2. Elements of plot
    3. Characters
      1. Name and inspiration
      2. Backstory
      3. Values
      4. Actions in the story
      5. Relationship to others
      6. Appearance
      7. Abilities
      8. Personality
    4. Themes
    5. Symbols
    6. World-building

It's a work in progress and in a very early state at that. I just put it together so I could write a Zettel. It can work like a list of links to the individual things or have it all in one place. The latter approach is helpful if you're lazy like me and don't want to think about fiction writing too much at the moment.

• @emps said:

I'm kinda stuck with my notes. I have a list of about a dozen of notes, most of them half-finished. But I can't force myself nor find a desire to do so. Maybe it's a result of undersleeping.

Sounds just like me. I have 30 unfinished Zettels and several unprocessed reading notes. What @ctietze said reflects the approach I'm taking: I'm ignoring them until I have a better process to deal with it. I'm also taking up making comics to blow some steam and give me a reason to start sleeping again.

If you find a way out of your mess, please let us know how you did it. That'd be much appreciated. And don't hesitate to ask for help, like @ctietze said.

• @Steve625 said:
    This Week
    I've decided to take a stroll down @Sascha Zettelkasten Method for Fiction. I am utilizing one of the recommended books (The Story Grid) to process Quicksilver by Dean Koontz.

Don't forget to inform us how it went.

I am a Zettler

• Last week (+ the time since new year)

• I just defended my PhD thesis and can now close that chapter
    • Had a serious drought in my ZK, since I haven’t had the same habit of working with notes on my new job
    • Made it much easier for me to access my notes on mobile devices

Next week

• Rebuild a habit of taking notes and working with notes
  • I spent all of last week converting my expense/budget records from an app which I really like (YNAB), but which has got way too expensive, to a relatively new (to me) app called Greenbooks (I think it's been around for a long time under the name Savings).

Probably not what you wanted to hear, as it has nothing to do with my ZK, but the latter has suffered for a week while attempting to do the former.

@henrikenggaard Congratulations on reaching a major milestone in your life! I know (personally) how much work is involved. You've accomplished an impressive feat.

To quote a friend who gave me a plaque to mount on the wall of my new work cubicle, when I was in your position:

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!

(Attributed in different places to football coach John Wooden, baseball coach Earl Weaver and to Harry S. Truman; probably pre-dates all of these people)

• @henrikenggaard said:
    I just defended my PhD thesis and can now close that chapter

Congratulations!

I am a Zettler

• edited February 2022

Congratulations Dr @henrikenggaard !

I'd like to discuss my successes, but I have been busy correcting my failures.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards

• @henrikenggaard said:
    Last week (+ the time since new year)

• I just defended my PhD thesis and can now close that chapter
    • Had a serious drought in my ZK, since I haven’t had the same habit of working with notes on my new job
    • Made it much easier for me to access my notes on mobile devices

Next week

• Rebuild a habit of taking notes and working with notes

Hi Henrik! I'm curious how you made it easy to access your notes on mobile devices. I've found a solution that works fine for iOS, but eventually I'll transition back to Android and I don't have something that works as well there. Can you share your learnings?

For iOS, I did it this way:

• The 1Writer app for iPhone works well because it follows the same note ID system as The Archive and other software that I use, using the [YYYY-MM-DD] format for link navigation between notes. Most software like Obsidian and similar tend to follow the [note-title-as-the-link-itself] format, which breaks all clickable links in my notes
    • To get the folder of Markdown notes downloaded to my phone, I store them on GitHub, and I've installed iSH to simulate a Linux terminal on the phone. So that means I can "git pull origin main" to download the newest version as needed